Friday, May 17, 2013

Weekly Log: 5.13.13 - 5.19.13

Monday - North Smithfield, RI - 7 miles

Ab Ripper X (15 minutes)

My band played its first gig in about two years last night at the Spot Underground in Providence.  I played alright and made some flubs but it was good to get on stage again and I appreciate our friends who came out to see us.  While we were done by 10 PM, it was still a long drive home and the giant vietnamese sandwich I had for dinner (plus a giant cookie) meant that I woke up feeling less than great.  All of which is a roundabout way of saying that I had little interest in proceeding with the track workout I had planned.

Nevertheless I wound up at the beautiful deserted North Smithfield track this morning (home of the Northmen - is there a cooler mascot in RI?)  It was a little chilly with the wind so I wore gloves but as soon as I hit the track I felt pretty good.  After a mile and a half warm-up, I did six 400s followed by six 200s.  I was aiming for 85 second 400s and I bested that on most of 'em, speeding up on each until the last one.  I tried to really push the pace on the 200s (which quickly proved exhausting with only a 100m cooldown between each one.)  On my third 200, I spied an influx of middle schoolers dutifully marching towards the track.  Luckily I was able to finish up the set as they begain flooding the area.

With the track under siege, I switched into my New Balance 730s and ran a two mile loop on local roads as a cooldown.  Running in these minimally cushioned roadsters felt alright and I hope to begin incorporating them into the actual track workout soon with the goal of being able to wear them for short road races.  By the time I returned to my car, the mandatory fitness portion of the students' day was over and they had returned to their studies.  The track was deserted once again.

400s - 86 / 83 / 83 / 78 / 78 / 82
200s - 43 / 37 / 27 / 35 / 42 / 34 - The 27s is definitely short and I was probably a bit short on the 35/34 ones too.  Hard to be accurate with the lap button on those short intervals.

Tuesday - 0 miles

P90X Chest & Back (50 minutes)

Wednesday - 0 miles

P90X Plyometrics (60 minutes)

Plyo!  I haven't done this workout since early January.  Not because I didn't enjoy it.  At the time my calf/achilles had begun to act up and it didn't seem wise to continue with all the jump training in Plyo.  Then once my calf issue subsided I got into Legs & Back and I didn't really have room for two intense leg workouts a week in addition to all my running.  So I brought it back this week and I was sweating up a storm.  Great workout and all the different moves leave you exhausted by the end.

Thursday - Johnston, RI - 10.3 miles

Back to the Snake Den for more exploration.  My legs felt dead from yesterday's Plyo and my upper body still had DOMS from Tuesday's Chest & Back but after a couple miles everything loosened up and I was good to go.  Everyday on my drive home on 295 South I pass ATV trails just before the Route 6 exit.  I knew these must connect with the Snake Den power lines and today I wanted to find 'em.  Mission accomplished.  I found the trail I always see from the highway and then I followed some singletrack for a while that ran parallel to 295.  I was worried how far out this track was going to take me and I considered turning back but I knew that eventually it would either loop back or hit road.  Turns out it looped back and I was able to explore a big chunk of new trails out here.  I took the long way back on familiar trails to bump the mileage to double digits and I was feeling it towards the end.   I may have to start bringing a water bottle on these longer trail runs as the weather warms.


Friday - North Kingstown, RI - 16.3 miles

P90X Back & Biceps (50 minutes)

Another Friday off from work!  Ezri and I traveled a couple miles on the Kingston bike path - her on bike and myself on foot.  Gave me another chance to jog a bit in my NB 730s.  After dropping her off at daycare, I parked in Wickford where I decided to do some reminiscing by running around my old stomping grounds.  I ran down past the town beach and then I took Post Road over to Rome Point.  I explored the usual trails there and then made my way up to Featherbed Lane, the road I grew up on.  My old house has gone through several owners since my mom sold it - it's in rough shape now and needs some love and care.

I ran on Annaquatucket past the new high school (I guess it's not so new anymore) and turned onto Tower Hill Road briefly before taking the old railbed trail and checking out its few offshoots.  Then up to the town library and over to Wilson Park where I used to play soccer.  I checked out a few old bike trails here and then finished the run by exploring a couple of the historic Wickford streets. 


Saturday - 0 miles


Sunday - Charlestown, RI - 4.1 miles

Power Vinyasa Yoga (90 minutes)

I did my first group Yoga class this morning at Salt Pond Yoga.  I was nervous since I've never done Yoga with anyone other than my wife and never outside of my basement.  Turned out to be a great experience.  The studio is above a garage on a very beautiful estate here in Charlestown - it's power yoga so they heat the room to 90 degrees.  It was packed - probably about 20 people were there and I was glad to see there were a few other guys as well.  P90X Yoga served me well - I was familiar with most of the moves and poses so I felt pretty comfortable.  Within minutes I was sweating buckets.  I was exhausted by the end but it felt great.

In the afternoon I ran four quick ones down Old Coach and back.  Just a shakeout to burn off some of the weekend excess.  A light rain was falling which made the run extremely pleasant.  Happy to see that someone cut up all the fallen pines on the Old Coach Pine Path.

Weekly Mileage:  37.8 miles

Year to Date: 654.2 miles


Great week all around.  Third week in a row that I was able to get in two strength workouts.  I hit the track for the first time in awhile and hope I can consistently do so.  I had fun in Snake Den and finally got my long N.K. run in.  My first group Yoga session was difficult but satisfying and I look forward to more.  Next week should be interesting.   The weather looks to be crappy but that don't confront me none as I've got six days off starting Thursday!  Huzzah!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an awesome week! Way to crush your track workout - those are some very fast intervals. I think in high school (the last time I did 400's) I ran them around 85-90 sec. I wonder how fast I'd be able to run them now.

    I have been doing power yoga for 2-3 years now and I really love the constant motion and challenging poses. Right now it is such a help to stretch my IT band and strengthen the muscles around my hip.

    ReplyDelete