Thursday, December 19, 2013

Weekly Log: 12.16.13 - 12.22.13

NOTICE: My band Hip Bobsha will be performing an acoustic show at the Joyce Family Pub in Matunuck on Friday January 10th from 8:00 PM until Midnight.  Come on out!

Monday - Smithfield, RI - 5.8 miles

It didn't occur to me until I pulled off the highway that Smithfield probably got quite a bit more snow than Charlestown.  Not that it really mattered, I had my Cascadias and would run in them no matter how much snow there was.  There's a good amount up here but luckily I soon encountered some ATV tracks and decided to follow them along the powerlines.  It was a frozen wonderland out there.  I briefly entered the woods but breaking through the snow crust proved tiring and I was happy to return to the powerlines and run in the ATV ruts.  Don't listen to Mike B - this is a great time of the year to get outside and go running in the woods...if you've got the mettle for it.


Tuesday - 0 miles

P90X Chest Shoulders & Triceps (55 minutes)

Good workout this morning!  CS&T features lots of push-up variations and some light handweight work.  Like Chest & Back my numbers are down but I felt spent at the end.  Jelly arms definitely in effect afterwards.

Wednesday - 0 miles

Ab Ripper X (15 minutes)


Thursday - Charlestown/Smithfield, RI - 9.1 miles

Took the dog out in the early AM for 3 miles.  Cold out there but we were moving at a good clip and the little beast really turned it on at the end.

Headed up to Wolf Hill in Smithfield for the main run of the morning.  I expected it to be a tough slog in the snow and I wasn't disappointed.  Ran into a large chap and his unleashed beagle almost immediately but both were friendly enough.  After that I followed another set of footprints up into the hills which made the going a little easier.  I had intended to run along the frozen pond but there was a big piece of machinery up ahead along with a guy using a chainsaw.  Hmmm, what were they up to?  I backtracked up into the hills and made my way around to the quarry.  A lot of people must have had some fun here yesterday as there were sled routes all over the place (including a few dicey ones along the cliffside.  Only the brave and foolish need apply.)  Tried to see what the construction was up to but it looked like they were just cutting down trees and widening the path.  Curious.

From there I ventured back into the woods, following a pair of snowshoe tracks.  Ran the usual trails and the snow was making me work.  I wasn't wearing YakTrax but the Cascadias proved fine on their own.  So many cool tracks out there - I really like the little tunnels that I'm guessing are made by mice.  By the end of the run I was very pleased.  It was tough out there with the combination of hills and snow but it was so beautiful.  I thought about all the people that settle for treadmills at this time of year - they don't know what they're missing.


Friday - Snake Den, Johnston, RI - 7.7 miles

I scouted out the Bryant and North Smithfield High tracks last night and both were snowed in.  No track work?  Oh darn.  Back to the woods then!  And what a day it was in the Den.  Shirt and shorts weather (though I did wear gloves and a hat, I ended up stuffing the gloves in my pockets after a few miles.)    Lots of signs warning about hunting season and I heard a couple shots off in the distance but that's about it.  After a few miles I can across an old man walking with his dog.  "Still think it's summer?" he joked.  Haha, anytime I can run in the snow in shorts I'll take it.  The snow had begun to compact but it wasn't too slushy yet.  Good fun out there.

Saturday - South Kingstown, RI - 13.2 miles

Big group run to kick off the the Winter Solstice (though it didn't feel like it - shorts and t-shirt again.)  Met up in Perryville with Jonny, Jeff, Muddy, Mike B, Nate and Chris.  First we took the roads down through Green Hill to the beach.  We ran along the beach to Moonstone, catching the sun coming up over the clouds.  Good waves out there.  Then we jumped back on the roads to Perryville.  We weren't the only ones out this morning - saw several groups of bird watchers along the road.  We got back to our cars and said goodbye to Muddy as we ventured into the trails behind the graveyard.  Checked out the new trail that goes to Bull Head Pond.  Said farewell to Chris, Nate and Mike and then ran a section of the Duval trail with Jonny and Jeff.  Some sections of the trail were snow, some ice and some were downright muddy.  Fun start to winter.


Sunday - 0 miles

P90X Shoulders & Arms (60 minutes)

Weekly Mileage: 35.8 miles

Year to Date: 1,745.6 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment