Thursday, February 6, 2014

Weekly Log: 2.3.14 - 2.9.14

Time for another exciting entry in the South County 4th Season trail series with the Belleville Pond 10k on Sunday!  I bailed on it last year due to calf tightness but I'm ready to return.  I think these longer trail races favor my endurance and experience in the woods so I'm looking forward to competing this weekend.  The weather this week looks messy at best and I'll be interested to see what the course looks like by Sunday.

Monday - Smithfield, RI - 6.5 miles

An easy shakeout run after yesterday's hard effort.  Though snow was falling in big wet clumps when I left the house, here at work it was barely flurrying.  From the parking lot at work, I made my way to the powerlines and took them north to Rocky Branch Rd.  Alongside Rocky Branch I kept passing "Keep Out" signs for the Woonsocket Watershed.  At one point there was a dirt road with a gate along with some ATV tracks that made their way around it.  I couldn't help but explore briefly.  A side trail led past an old Smithfield graveyard and rows of massive and perfectly aligned pine trees.  An old tree farm left to its own devices perhaps?  I scurried back to the road and returned to work on familiar trails.  By the time I finished the run the snow had begun in earnest.


Tuesday - Charlestown, RI - 2.8 miles

Ab Ripper X (15 minutes) / 110 push-ups (standard/military/wide) 30/20/20/20/20

Tuesday's routine has become a short run with the dog followed by core work and push-ups.  Neither myself or Oliver were thrilled about heading out this morning but once we got out there I really enjoyed the dark winter wonderland.  Then it was just a matter of willing myself to start up the Ripper in the basement.

Ezri helped count out the last few reps of push-ups.  She turned five today!  Hard to believe it's been that long already.  Time flies!

Wednesday - 0 miles

P90X2 Yoga X2 (60 minutes)

Snow day.  No running today but between the yoga and all the shoveling I got in a good workout.

Thursday - Smithfield, RI - 4.1 miles

I was going to attempt the Belleville Pond 10k course and tried all three of the parking lots but none of them were plowed (I'm in a rental car this week and didn't want to chance it.)  Decided to just drive up to work and run whatever.  I started on the Fidelity footpaths which had been shoveled and then kept going once they turned to snow.  It was probably about 8 inches deep.  Holy hell, it was brutal.  I was breathing hard within moments and had to stop often.  After maybe 1.5 miles of trudgery I jumped back on the roads before jumping back in the snow for one more slog and then finishing up on the roads again.  Only four miles but I was cooked.  If Sunday's race is anything like this it's going to be a rough day.


Friday - Smithfield, RI - 6 miles

130 push-ups (standard/military/wide) 30/20/20/20/20/20

Third run this week up at work.  Couldn't be helped with all the snow and errands (picked up my car today with a new bumper.  Huzzah!)  This time I stuck to the roads.  I wore my polar tec pants since I left my tights in the work locker but it was a mistake as I was overheating quickly.  Kept the pace snappy and under 7 minute miles and pushed it on a hilly Strava segment.  Saw a single set of footprints in the deep snowy footpaths.  What kind of idiot would try to run through that?


Saturday - 0 miles


Sunday - Belleville Pond 10k - 8.9 miles

Brutal.  52-ish minutes.  8th overall.  Report forthcoming.

Weekly Mileage: 28.2 miles

Year to Date: 202.7 miles


My lowest mileage week since late October.  With a couple snow slogs including the Belleville Pond 10k, the effort was there so I'm happy with the week.  Time to take a cue from Muddy's blog and begin to figure out my training for the next few months.  With the Ocean's Run 1/2 about a month away and other races on the horizon, I need to begin to plan out how I'm going to increase my mileage yet prepare for these shorter races.

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain, the trails are a serious workout right now - hopefully the Snowshoe Brigade will get out there and flatten them out good...if not, it's another snowy sufferfest!

    ReplyDelete