Thursday, March 20, 2014

Weekly Log: 3.17.14 - 3.23.14

Another race week is here already?  How did that happen?  The Brrr-lingame 10 miler is on Saturday and I'm looking forward to an honest longish trail race without massive snow sufferings.  I hope to put down a bunch of miles leading up to the race - not exactly a great tapering strategy but if I tapered for every race I'd never get anywhere.  I'm looking to hit 50 for the week.

Monday - Snake Den, Johnston, RI - 7.1 miles

It's been awhile since I visited the Snake Den Management Area but with the snow finally disappearing throughout the state I thought I'd give it a shot.  There's was snow/ice on probably about 70% of the trails but it offered plenty of traction despite my lack of Yaktrax.  It was in the high teens and pretty chilly when I started out - my cold compression leggings are getting pretty worn down so I hope this is the last time I use 'em this season.  I enjoyed getting back out into this place - some of the rock formations are pretty impressive.  I'll try to snap a couple pics the next time I'm out there.


Tuesday - Charlestown, RI - 4.3 miles

160 Push-ups (standard/military/wide) 30/30/30/20/20/30

Standard morning dog jog.  The moon was so bright that I kept my headlamp on low.  So of course I rolled my ankle pretty badly on a small pile of ice on the side of the road.  That makes three runs in a row where I rolled my left ankle.  Thinking I need to start wearing my brace for the next couple trail runs to make sure I'm alright for Brrr-lingame.

Wednesday - Smithfield, RI - 13 miles

In my quest for 50 miles this week, I set aside a couple hours after work today to bang out a goodly chunk of miles.  I settled on a hilly route that was mostly roads but I added a few short trail areas as well.   The weather was finally warming up and I was running in shorts and a long-sleeve tech shirt.  Magical!  Chilly hands for a mile or so but they were warm soon enough.  Trails still had some snow and ice but plenty of muddy spots as well.  I kept the pace somewhat snappy and felt good out there. A lot of up and down on both road and trails but the legs seemed to handle it well.


Thursday - Smithfield, RI - 6 miles

180 push-ups (standard/military/wide) 30/30/30/30/30/30

This was a nice and easy run up at work.  I unearthed my old ankle brace and threw it on my suspect left foot - it felt fine and running with it wasn't an issue.  I stayed on the work trails which were either snowy or muddy (or both!)  It was fun slip sliding around on trails I haven't run in a while.  I went with my MT20s which might have been a mistake as the bottom of my right foot began to hurt (I think it's a nerve or something.)   Whatever it is doesn't feel great and despite my slow pace it was aggravating.  I had planned an easy 5 miler tomorrow but I think I'll take a rest day so that I'm ready for Saturday.  My quest for 50 miles isn't in jeopardy...yet.  I'll just have to run a few miles on Sunday instead of tomorrow.


Friday - 0 miles

Rest day since my feet are beat up.  I'm getting amped for tomorrow's trail race.  Psyched that it's only five minutes from my house.  And last night WTAC invaded my dreams...

I found myself standing around, waiting to run a half marathon road race.  Suddenly Jeff ran by.  Guess the race had begun!  I took off and tried to catch up to him when a few other guys flew by me.  Then they turned a corner and all stopped.  Guess it was just a warm-up before the race.  Oh that's good 'cause I need to pee.

I head to the bathroom and someone hands me a flyer for this race.  Apparently Galoob's the race director and decided to provide full page color profiles of the top tier runners.  I see profiles for Nate and Garvin.  Where's mine?  Then I look over and see Garvin sitting in a plastic chair, feeding a baby from a bottle.  But there's no time to chitchat - the race is about to begin.

I'm thrilled that there's no line at the port-o-let which is actually quite large.  When I enter I see three women working on fabric.  It looks like they've set up a clothing shop in the bathroom.  And there's no toilet.  I apologize but the race is about to begin.  I drop my gym in the middle of the room and begin to pee into it.  I keep apologizing and I'm doing a terrible job, missing the bag and pissing all over the floor.  Then a female runner skirts by me into a side room and I realize there was another room with an actual toilet.  Whoops.

Then I woke up.  See you tomorrow!

Saturday - Brrr-lingame 10 Mile trail race - 13.5 miles

Results here.  Official time: 1:11:08.  10th overall.  Report forthcoming.

Sunday - Charlestown, RI - 6.1 mile 

Legs are pretty tired after yesterday's effort but I wanted to get in the last few miles to hit 50 for the week.  Got up early and did some very easy miles down to the Nordic Lodge and back.   Explored a dirt road/trail next to the Nordic parking lot until I came upon a creepy shack and retreated.

Weekly Mileage: 50.2 miles

Year to Date: 459.9 miles


Glad to hit 50 miles for the week and glad that the mileage didn't seem to affect my Brrr-lingame race too much.  Now to attempt another week of 50+ before I scale back big time for Big River.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck at Burlingame! Also, take care of your ankle (rest/ice/strengthen strengthen strengthen) - I had a season of rolling my ankle repeatedly on the trails, where I would run again after it felt better, only to end up with a stress fracture, and fluid in my ankle once that healed. Getting better trail shoes and doing calf raises and foot strengthening exercises has helped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ankles are the worst! I'll be wearing my brace during Saturday's race, so you'll have company if you choose to play it safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was some dream. I'm pretty sure I have fed a baby from a bottle at a few races in the past couple of years, but never in a plastic chair. That sounds downright luxurious. Nice job in yesterday's race. I'll see you in your dreams...

    ReplyDelete