Thursday, June 5, 2014

Weekly Log - 6.2.14 - 6.8.14

Everyone else is doing it, so I'm also going to add a Strava feed to the side of the ol' blog rather than post the individual entries in the blog itself.  It'll help streamline things plus if Strava craps out it won't make my past blog entries look awful.

Monday - East Providence, RI - 5.4 miles

It was a hot day out there.  At lunch I went over the the East Bay Bike Path and took off at a jaunty pace.  The breeze off the bay kept me cool.  I jumped into the woods to check a small circuit of trails before continuing along the path for a while longer.  Beautiful day along the water.

Tuesday - West Greenwich, RI - 9.9 miles

Ab Ripper X (15 minutes) / 160 push-ups (standard/military/wide/decline) 40/30/40/20/30

After work I hit up Big River.  I wanted to continue to explore the trail along Capwell Millpond.  I continued to bear left and eventually it turned south and intersected the New London Turnpike.  From here I ventured over towards the quarry and made my way up to the Lookout.  Found it on the first try!  Then I planned to take Elephant back down to where it intersects Sawmill but I got turned around and ended up back at beginning of Sawmill.  No matter, at least I knew where I was.  Followed Sawmill all the way and then took I See Dead People back towards the car.  This run was a lot of fun.  It was humid but no bugs yet.  Encountered several mountain bikers on this run and when I returned to the lot there were quite a few more cars.  Lots of people enjoying Big River on this particular evening.

Wednesday - Providence/Hopkinton, RI - 10.6 miles

With no real plan in mind I decided to hop across the bridge to the east side and head towards India Point Park.  At first I felt normal but by the time I reached the park I began to tire.  I ventured up to the Brown Campus and wandered this way and that.  Legs never pepped up and it was a bit of a slog.  Very humid too.

After work I went to the mall to get my poor iPod Touch fixed (replaced) and then I had time before picking up Em to tack on a few more miles in Hopkinton.  Just like at lunch my legs felt fine for a while.  I went into Black Farm and did the usual small loop of trails before arriving at the water vista with the long-gone train bridge.  I enjoyed the serenity and sounds of the marsh creatures as dusk settled over the land.  But it was tough to get going again.  And it was even more humid than it had been at lunch time.  The run back to the dance studio was slow and sluggish.  I was very glad when it was over.

So probably more running than I needed today but it was National Running Day.  The last few years I've never been able to run on this day so I felt compelled to make up for it.

Thursday - 0 miles

310 push-ups (standard/military/wide/decline) 40/20/40/30/40/30/50/30/30

Legs need a day off.  Instead just a boatload of push-ups at lunch.

Friday - East Providence, RI - 7.2 miles

Ab Ripper X (15 minutes)

There's a road that was recently finished near my office (it's still under construction on google/maps) that's a throughway to bypass a bunch of congested neighborhood streets.  I started taking it this week as it's wide, straight and free of side streets.  Hmmm, perhaps I could put this new find to work?

It was 80 and sunny but I ventured over there anyway, intent on doing some form of speedwork.  It's close enough to the office to allow me to run to and from as a warmup/cooldown.  I opted for six 1/2 mile intervals, run at my 5k pace with 1/4 mile jogs between.  T pace, I pace - I still don't understand this shit.  So I went with Seth Pace, an effort that feels hard and makes me want to quit.  It went accordingly and the last two were exhausting.  Thankfully the sun went behind clouds for the second half of the run.  The road itself proved perfect for the workout - not a lot of traffic and very wide shoulders.  I'll be sure to come back for more suffering.

Saturday - 0 miles


Sunday - Charlestown, RI - 7.4 miles

Originally I was going to run long in the morning but by Saturday afternoon I decided to hell with it.  No motivation to get up early and run for a few hours.  It's June - I do what I want!  So I had sort of accepted a zero for the weekend but then as Sunday unfolded I decided to run at the beach in the afternoon when the opportunity presented itself.  I parked at Charlestown Beach, ran down to the Breachway and then in the opposite direction to Green Hill.  Beautiful day - lots of people enjoying the warm sunny afternoon.  After 3.5 wet sandy miles I decided to take the roads back to the car.  I enjoyed the beach but battling the tide takes its toll.  The road miles were uneventful but enjoyable as well.  Good way to end a productive weekend.

Weekly Mileage: 40.4 miles

Year to Date: 903.4 miles


Couple good runs this week.  10 miles of fun in Big River and a return to speedwork on Friday.  Pleased to hit 40 despite no long weekend run.  Let's keep it going.

No comments:

Post a Comment