Sunday, August 4, 2013

Weekly Log: 7.29.13 - 8.4.13

And so July comes to and end. Can't believe it's almost over, makes me sad. But what a month - an awesome family vacation in New Hampshire to start things off, two great 10 mile races and my wife's second triathlon of the year. Farewell July, I shall remember you fondly.

Now it's time to look towards the fall races - the Surftown Half in mid-September and the NipMuck marathon in early October. I don't plan to race at all in August but rather focus on solid long trail runs. Hilly trail work will be a weekly staple and I really need to get back to some weekly speedwork. At some point in August I would really like to journey over to the NipMuck trail and tackle the last 14 miles of the marathon course as that's where the hills and pain reside.

Monday - Snake Den, Johnston, RI - 5.9 miles

Ab Ripper X (15 minutes)

I wanted to run some hills and since I haven't been there in a while I choose Snake Den - I knew the power lines would suffice. It had been so long that I was taken aback by the amount of vegetation along the trails. The connector trail was overgrown in parts but at least the water hazards were at a minimum. Deer flies were a 6 out of 10.


Tuesday - 0 miles

P90X Legs & Back (60 minutes)

Wednesday - 0 miles

P90X2 Yoga X2 (65 minutes)

I was looking forward to my second attempt at the P90X2 Yoga but I didn't have my head in the game and struggled throughout, especially on anything balance related. Glad I got through the whole thing though.

Thursday - Black Farm, Hopkinton, RI - 8 miles

I had an hour and a half to kill while Em was at dance class and planned on hitting up the Carolina Management Area. But we ended up getting to class late and due to extenuating circumstances, my gas tank was emptier than it had ever been. I've never run out of gas and was stressed about it so I ended up driving to Black Farm since it was very close.

I still had a good amount of time to run and ended up exploring more or less all the trails in the area. Some of the trails open up into fields which run fairly close to some nice houses. I wasn't sure if it was still Black Farm property but I explored them until I came upon "No Trespassing" signs. I also discovered a trail that basically ran all the way to the neighborhood near 95 - good to know. I took the railbed as far as I could before the brush got too thick. I wonder if I'd be able to explore further in the winter?



Friday - North Smithfield Track - 7 miles

Ab Ripper X (15 minutes)

I was determined to return to the track today even if meant running in the rain. Luckily the weather cleared up by the time I got to the track but there was a high school soccer team arriving as well. They seemed to stick to the field and I didn't want to chump out so I continued as planned. Muddy and Jonny's 6 x 800 sounded good to me so after a mile or so warm-up I gutted them out. I ran the first one on the fourth lane in order to give the soccer boys some space but after that I said screw it and ran on the inside lane - they were hard enough without the added distance.

Splits: 3:00 / 2:53 / 2:52 / 2:51 / 2:52 / 2:55

I cooled down on the roads in my NB 730s. Gotta remember to start using these more to get accustomed to them - they are so light and would be great for road races.

That evening my band Hip Bobsha rocked out the Ocean Mist opening for Badfish.  There was a big crowd and I think our set was well received.  Nice to play for a big audience.  Badfish put on a great show - they really do sound just like Sublime.

Hip Bobsha Setlist
Steppin'1, The Rope Climber > Pusherman2, Empire Blues, One Thing > Handshake Drugs3, Jiminy

1 Soulive cover / 2 Curtis Mayfield cover / 3 Wilco cover

Saturday - Charlestown, RI - 19.2 miles

After several Torpedos at the Ocean Mist, Amanda correctly gauged that I wouldn't be up for running early today.  Instead she suggested I run before we went to the Seafood Festival at Ninigret (Em's dance team was performing.)  I immediately hatched the idea of a point-to-point run incorporating both roads and trails.  Not quite what Amanda had in mind but she kindly put up with my crazy scheme.

I left our house around 3:40 PM and took Route 2 to the east Carter Preserve entrance.  I had already begun to feel a blister forming on my right pinky but shook it off and entered the woods.  I took the red and blue trails and found myself enjoying the run so much more now that I was off of the busy Route 2.  How people can run roads like that everyday I'll never know.  Stopped halfway to snack on my latest creation, a red lentil rice cake (write-up forthcoming.)  I finished the Preserve by doing the grassland loop clockwise (there's a segment there - I knew I wouldn't be dethrowing the speedy Chris G but figured I'd at least get my name on the board.)

Jumping on to King's Factory Road, I was still feeling good.  I had been nursing my water so as not to run out and luckily it was not too hot with plenty of shade.  I reached the Burlingame woods and took Sammy C's to VG and ran it counterclockwise to the campground.  Time was starting to become an issue but luckily it was mostly road the rest of the way and I was able to make good time over to Ninigret.  Actually I felt pretty great for running 19 miles and feel like it's an indication that I'm in really good shape.  Pinky toe never actually formed a blister which was a bonus.

I got to Ninigret right after Amanda, changed (I had put clothes in her car) and dug into the festival (free admission 'cause Em was dancing - score!)  Em did great and then we hit the foodway.  Beer and doughboys were most welcome.


Sunday - 0 miles


No miles today as yesterday's run was more than enough.  My inner thighs aren't sore per se but feel like they're always on the verge of cramping.  Spent the morning bottling beer and finishing the first chapter of the great Beer Machine saga (report forthcoming.)

Amanda ran Run 4 Kerri this morning and did great - 272/729 (including a 5k PR!)  She also won an afghan in the raffle which is pretty sweet.

Another gig tonight for Hip Bobsha.  Two gigs in one week - what is this? 2001?  This time we'll be at the Spot in Providence.  Probably a lot sparser crowd than the O-Mist but I'm looking forward to it.

Weekly Mileage: 40.5 miles

Year to Date: 1,061.5 miles

2 comments:

  1. Good week! Trails be calling, sir, I'm looking to do some long runs in Pachaug or Arcadia soon, possibly a Nehantic thru run (13 miles)or something like that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A band... nice... I'll have to get hubb (bass/mandolin/banjo player) out to see this!! Sounds like you had a great week!

    ReplyDelete