Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Habanero Hot Sauce

With my two habanero plants beginning to churn out the hot peppers, I knew it was time to put 'em to use.  I found a great recipe on chef Rick Bayless's website and decided to take a stab at it.

  

The recipe calls for unpeeled garlic cloves, an onion, apple cider vinegar, a medium carrot and of course the hot bastards.


The garlic are cooked in a pan until they get soft with brown spots.


One thing I don't need is habanero oil near my eyes.  These glasses were designed for cutting onions and they'll do the trick.


Chop up 1/2 cup each of onion and carrot.


The recipe calls for 12 habaneros equaling 5 ounces.  I had 15 of 'em but they only came to 3 ounces.  Good enough.


Cook the carrots, onions and peppers in a pot along with the cider vinegar and a cup of water until the carrots are soft.


Throw it all in the blender plus the garlic (peel 'em first) along with 2 teaspoons of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of sugar.


Mmm.  Orange slurry.


Poured most into a refurbished Frank's bottle and put the rest in a mason jar.

The hot sauce is kept in the fridge and it is yummy!  Not overpoweringly hot (unless you really dump it on.)  I put it on my eggs every morning.  I mixed some into my tuna lunch for more awesomeness.  I'm really pleased with how it came out.

More pepper madness around the corner if I can get around to it.  I'd like to make habanero jelly and pickle some of the other varieties I've got growing.

1 comment: