Thursday, November 7, 2013

Weekly Log: 11.4.13 - 11.10.13

Good lord, I'm falling apart. In addition to my upper back woes, my left arm has taking to aching something awful at random points in the day. It's connected to my back/neck troubles which also still hurts intermittently. I haven't touched the P90X since that ill advised Ab Ripper session and I miss it. Thankfully my running doesn't aggravate the back/arm thing so I'm gonna keep the mileage up.

Monday - Snake Den, Johnston, RI - 6.5 miles

It was great running weather at the Den - cold and crisp. The fallen leaves made the footing tough throughout. I really had to watch my step. The Connector Trail is hard to see at the best of times - I had a few off-trail blunders and paid for my errors with several briar scratches. Checked out a few trails I hadn't been on before - some were dead ends while others connected with familiar territory. This really is a great place for trail running, though it'll be better once the leaves compress. I nabbed enough elevation at the power lines to grab the first 1000m badge in the Strava elevation challenge - this indeed proved to be a challenge as I had to actively seek out some hilly runs over the past week. Good fun - I hope they do more of these.



Tuesday - 0 miles


Wednesday - Big River, West Greenwich, RI - 6.3 miles

I met up with Scott Mason at the Greasy Joe's parking lot to get my first taste of Big River night running. I'd never attempt this one my own (I've gotten lost a couple times here in the daytime) but I knew Scott and Bob Jackman were old pros at this so I made plans to meet up. It was dark when we headed out at 5:45 PM but the temperature was almost 60 degrees which was great. We started out on the New London Turnpike but soon ventured onto the singletrack. The headlamps provided plenty of light and it wasn't difficult running the trails behind Scott. We ended up running much of the last leg of the Big River 1/2 marathon. Conversation was lively and other than a short bushwacking snafu the night provided no difficulties.



Thursday - Charlestown, RI - 6.1 miles

I had a doctor's appointment in the morning for the janky back so I took advantage of the time and ran down to the beach and back. It had rained overnight but now it was just spitting. Temperature was just as warm as last night though it was windy as I approached the shore. I kept the run short and the pace peppy.

Friday - Smithfield, RI - 4.9 miles

Track if I'm strong, woods if I'm weak. That's what I said I'd choose between today. Well call me Mr. Weak because I was running late and decided to just run the trails behind work to save time. One day I'll return to the track. Perhaps.

It was pleasant enough in the woods though the thick cover of leaves made it slow going. I overdressed yet again and had to take off my long sleeve layer halfway through the run. My Janky Toe began to ache from the rocks on the singletrack and I ventured over to the power lines for a change of pace. The road under the lines gave my toe a break but then my mid-back began to hurt. Awesome. With my body aching and having absolutely no pep whatsoever, I opted to just head back to the car. I think I'll be taking the weekend off to give my body some needed rest.

Saturday - 0 miles


Sunday - 0 miles


Weekly Mileage: 23.8 miles

Year to Date: 1,521.6 miles

1 comment:

  1. I think running the woods in the dark would be so utterly cool. And glad to hear someone else use the term spitting when refering to rain that isn't rain or mist. Good luck with the back situation.

    ReplyDelete