Friday, May 9, 2014

Weekly Log: 5.5.14 - 5.11.14

With Saturday's epic adventure in the rearview, I'm looking forward to an easier week of running.  I'd like to get about 40 miles on the week.  I don't foresee anything too crazy, just a bunch of lunch runs and maybe a low-teen trail run on the weekend.

Monday - Providence, RI - 6.4 miles

Oh my calves!  I was sore all over yesterday.  Today was better but my calves are still very tight.  I left for my lunch run with no real destination and ended up making my way over the bridge and up to College Hill.  Not sure I wanted to go anywhere near hills today as my body did not like them.  I kept the place slow and towards then end my calves were very angry with me.

Tuesday - East Providence, RI - 6 miles

Ab Ripper X (15 minutes)

Decided to go run around the Turner Reservoir again.  Calves felt much better today than yesterday and the pace reflected that.  I ran the reservoir in the other direction to make sure I didn't miss the trail.  Turns out I missed quite a bit of beautiful lakeside singletrack on my last run.  Spooked a guy with two large angry german shepherds.  Sorry guy, I'll try to announce myself better next time.  Glad the legs seem to be returning to normal.

Wednesday - Charlestown, RI/Seekonk, MA - 8 miles

Dog Jog in the morning was notable in that we managed to find the trail that connects Black Pond Road to the Narragansett Trail.  Oliver was very happy once we got in the woods and began pushing the pace - glad neither of us got tripped up.  This is a fun loop that we'll be doing again.  The trail just needs a little maintenance near Black Pond Road.

At lunch I went back to the Seekonk Meadows behind the library for some easy trail miles.  I ate leftover chinese 1.5 hours earlier which made the run less enjoyable than it might have been.  Another close encounter with a giant dog but at least he was friendly.  Found some new trails too which is always a good thing.  I have to remember to not eat lunch until after I run as it just sits there like a lead balloon.  Especially if it's Chinese food.

Thursday - East Providence, RI - 11 miles

5 minutes of planks (2 x 1 min / 4 x 45 sec) / 180 push-ups (standard/military/wide) 40/30/40/40/30

Decided to try doing some planks in the morning as an additional means of core work.  Also banged out some push-ups and was pleased that I was able to get to 40 reps on a bunch of sets.

After work, I ran over to the Ten Mile River bike path.  It has some fairly long segments and I figured trying to nab them would make for a good workout.  First I tried for a 1/4 mile segment on Pawtucket Ave.  I would've had it but the segment map looks a little wonky and Strava couldn't match it up.  No big deal - it wasn't the focus of this run.

I made my way over to the bike path and picked it up, trying for a 6:00 mile pace.  The first segment is 2.2 miles long and the existing record was a 6:40 pace.  I knew I could come in under that but by how much?  Lots of folks enjoying the afternoon on the bike path.  I paid them no heed and focused on keeping my pace up.  Passed a woman who was rollerblading which was kind of funny.  At first she picked up the pace to pull ahead again but when I caught up to her a second time she let me go.  I got to the end of the segment and was pretty tired - 5:57 pace though!  Then I continued another 0.8 miles to the end of the bike path then turned around.  This last 0.8 was the other segment.  I turned it on and headed back.  This section of the path is hillier and I was wheezing by the end.  But I did it in 5:27 which I'm psyched about.  After that I was pretty spent and jogged the four miles back to my car, exploring a few side trails alongside the bike path as well.

Really pleased with how I ran both of these segments.  The guy I took 'em from is crazy fast and could take 'em back going backwards but it looks like he lives in California.  Safe for now!

Friday - Rest day


Saturday - Burlingame, Charlestown, RI - 14.6 miles

An early morning group run was arranged by Jonny at Burlingame.  I wasn't sure if I was going to make it as Hip Bobsha was playing at Tara's the night before.  But I got home from the gig at 12:30 determined to make it out and I woke up at 5:30 and dragged myself over there.  We had a good crowd - Jonny, Muddy, Mike B & G, a rebuilt Gazelle and myself.  I felt sluggish and tired from the night before and stuck more or less to the back of the train.

After a mile of road we hit up Sammy C's and took all of it before heading down to North Camp.  Then over to Schoolhouse before taking the Secret and others back to Vin Gormley.  At this point debate began as most of us were looking to run less than Jonny & Galoob.  Somehow we all made our way to the North Burlingame entrance and then team Hammett Galoob used their mind powers to convince us that a loop of North Burlingame would somehow shorten our run.  We were now 9 miles into the run and I was feeling the effects of whiskey and little sleep.  The hills in North Burlingame really wore me down and I hung back and suffered through these miles.  I continued to suffer onto Sammy C's but then found a little bit of energy before dying again on the last hill stretch.  Still I was only planning to run 10-12 miles and I'm glad I got a little bit of a longer trail run in.

Afterwards I had considered hitting up the East Farm Festival but opted not to.  Good thing as Amanda called with terrible news - Ezri had broken her leg!  I had to go and pick up the dog before meeting them up at Hasbro.  Spent the rest of the day in the emergency room before she was admitted for the night.  Poor thing was so brave - she ended up breaking her leg in three spots!   But she was so stoic about the whole thing.  Very tough girl!

Sunday - Rest day

I slept at the hospital and Ezri had surgery on her femur first thing in the morning.  By 12:30 she was awake and back in her room.  It was a long day but she was finally starting to perk up by the end.   Not quite the way we had planned out the weekend but I'm glad we're through the worst of it!

Weekly Log: 47.8 miles

Year to Date: 773.4 miles

Good week after doing 60 last week!  Only two weeks until Pineland.  It's really starting to creep up.  Next week will be less miles.  Plus adjusting to Ezri's new immobile situation.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about Ezri. We have become regular visitors to Hasbro over the last 7 months with the two surgeries on Mark's broken arm, and I have to say we've been quite happy with the hospital and staff. She's young; will hopefully heal fast and well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes to Ezri for speedy and perfect healing. Strength to you and Amanda watching your daughter go through this and feeling helpless. From what Jeff says sounds like she is in the best care possible for the absolute best outcome. Plus she has two super parents so good genes!!

    ReplyDelete