Thursday, July 10, 2014

Weekly Log: 7.7.14 - 7.13.14

Now that vacation week is behind us, it's time to focus on the rest of July which is a doozy!  Lots to do!  This weekend is the Run with the Beavers race.  I did well last year and hope I can duplicate that performance, especially since this is the third and final race of the RI Trail Racing Triple Crown.

Friday is the start of what's become a mini tour of sorts for Hip Bobsha.  We've got four shows over the next five weeks - it's been awhile since we've had so many gigs on the horizon.  I hope to see you at one of them!

Friday, July 11th - Greenwich Hotel, East Greenwich, RI
Friday, July 18th - Manchester 65, West Warwick, RI
Saturday, July 26th - Phil & MJ's Wedding Reception up in Crazy Maine
Saturday, August 9th - Tara's Tipperary Tavern, Matunuck, RI

Next weekend Amanda takes on the Save the Bay swim!  And then the final weekend of July starts with the Blessing on Friday night and continues with a big party up in Maine.  I have a feeling the rest of this month is gonna fly by!

Monday - East Providence, RI - 5.4 miles

215 push-ups (standard/wide/decline/Pike's Press) 40/40/30/15/40/50

It was hot outside and I didn't have much gumption to run.  I was glad I did as once I started my legs had a lot more life than days past.  I think I'm finally recovered from last week's adventure.  I ran over the bridge to to the east side of Providence, running some in Blackstone Park and some on streets.  Like I said it was very hot out but I felt good otherwise.

Tuesday - Seekonk, MA - 4.1 miles

Another super hot day.  Went over to Seekonk Meadows to try out my new NB 601 v2 trail shoes.  I plan to use 'em on Saturday and wanted to get at least one test run in them.  No issues - they should work well.  Once again I was soaked by the end of this short run.

Wednesday - East Providence, RI - 6.7 miles

Ab Ripper X (15 minutes)

Hey alright, another hot day.  Well I had intended to attempt a tempo run on the ol' East Bay Bike Path and I stuck to the plan despite the temp being in the mid-80's.  After an easy mile I increased the speed to the mid 6's and continued for another 2.3 miles until the bikepath intersects roads in Riverside.  I was hot but I didn't feel too bad - I took a few minutes to stretch in the shade before making my return trip.  As has been the case with these short tempo runs, I felt good going back and my pace crept down towards 6 flat.  I told myself to run hard until 5.6 miles (which would give me a 1 mile cooldown to the car) and the last half mile of the tempo was tough.  It was very hot and I was breathing hard, the sweat stinging my eyes.

Finally I hit 5.6 miles and slowed down, immediately feeling completely winded and exhausted.  I could barely muster a walk, let alone a jog.  I slowly made my way back to the car but I stopped a few times in the shade.  Back at the car I downed a bottle of water but still felt pretty weak.  My face was quite red.  This was definitely a case of pushing too hard when the weather's too warm.  Luckily I felt better after getting back to the cool office and eating some lunch.

Thursday - 0 miles

P90X Chest & Back (50 minutes)

No running today as we're having lunch-in since a coworker is leaving (plus yesterday's run left me wiped out.)  Instead I returned to a full-fledged P90X workout since I've long neglected them.  I was curious to see how I'd fare in Chest & Back since I've been fairly consistent in my weekly push-ups.  I was not disappointed.  I hit a total of 248 push-ups which is easily the most I've done in this workout.  My pull-ups were paltry of course and I know I've said it before but I've got to start working on them a couple mornings a week.  Good workout though!

Friday - East Providence, RI - 5.6 miles

Did an easy run over the bridge and around the neighborhood streets of the fancy houses of the East Side.  Kept the pace slow and the heat wasn't as bad as in days past.  After a late night of band practice and an even later night with tonight's gig, it'll be interesting to see how I fare with tomorrow's race.

Saturday - Run with the Beavers 10 Mile Trail Race

Official time: 1:12:15.  7th overall.  Report to follow.

Sunday - Charlestown, RI - 3.1 miles

Very easy dog jog in the morning.  Calves a little tight but otherwise not too bad.  Later in the day my left ankle began to hurt on the outside.  Not sure what's up with that.  Probably just strained it from the uneven terrain of yesterday's race.

Weekly Mileage: 35.8 miles
Year to Date: 1,094.5 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment