Friday, March 13, 2015

Weekly Log: 3.9.15-3.15.15

Another week and another race.   The Brrr-lingame 10 Mile Trail race is on Saturday and it will prove to be a completely different sort of challenge.  I think everyone had hoped that the trails would be in better condition than they are but winter will have the last laugh.  Let's hope Jonny gets out there every day to stomp 'em into shape.

Monday - 0 miles

My legs are pretty beat up from yesterday's 1/2 marathon.  My hamstrings are especially sore.  I guess that's what happens when you run 12.5 miles at a hard effort with no speed work in months.

Tuesday - East Providence, RI - 5.2 miles

It finally feels like spring with temps in the 40s and melting snow all over the place!  Based on how the snow is retreating from the roads I had hoped that the East Bay Bike Path would be clear (or at least clear-ish).  No such luck so I parked at the path and stuck to neighborhood roads.  Discovered a road called Seth Street which I considered putting a segment on but it's pretty short.  My legs are still really sore from the race and I didn't have much pep.

Wednesday - East Providence, RI - 2.7 miles

So the East Bay Bike Path was a wash.  What about the Ten Mile River bikepath?  This one I knew had been plowed and featured some singletrack.  Surely with the warm weather I'd be able to venture further than before.  Not quite.  The section that was previously runnable was still runnable but it was tough going the rest of the way.  I didn't quite make it to Slater Park and had to take several breaks on the way back. If this is what the trails are like on Saturday then we're all in real trouble.  By the time I got back to the car I was tired and frustrated and didn't feel like tacking on any more.

Thursday - Charlestown/North Kingstown, RI - 10 miles

I took Oliver out in the cold dark morning for 2.5 miles.  I wasn't too gung ho but Amanda was appreciative that I took him out and once we were moving it was fine.  Couple slippery spots with all the recent melt/freezing.

After work I went to the band house and did 7.5 miles before practice.  I was feeling pretty tired but at least the soreness from the race finally wore off.  After doing the Snuff Mill loop I opted to jump into Rome Point.  It was starting to get dark and the trails were in pretty good shape and fairly runnable.  I didn't wear my knee band thing and janky knee started to get achy by the end.

Friday - 0 miles

An intentional rest day before tomorrow's race plus I had another doctor's appointment in the morning for the neck thing.  Scanning messages in the waiting room when I learn that Galoob postponed tomorrow's race due to shitty conditions.  Apparently the melting has actually made the course worse and with heavy rain all morning it would probably not be a great idea to run.  Oh well.  Unfortunately it looks like the make-up date will conflict with my trip to Atlanta in a couple weeks so I may have to miss this one.

Saturday - Charlestown, RI - 2.8 miles

Well no Brrr-lingame today and with the rainy morning I can't say I miss it.  Amanda went up to Brown for a meditation retreat so it fell on me to take Oliver out in the morning.  The rain wasn't too heavy but drying him off afterwards is a pain.

Sunday - Westerly, RI - 8 miles

Fun group run with WTAC from 5k's house.  Chris brought his friend Mike Vqnce.  The pace was pretty peppy right off the bat and it was a little more work than I bargained on but I hung in there.  We ran down to Misquamicut Beach and the rising sun was amazing.  The short beach run was tough but enjoyable.  I had told Jonny I wanted to tack on a few more miles but once we stopped at the cars I lost any motivation to continue.  Sorry Jonny.  Luckily Muddy was a better friend and continued on with him.  Then I saw that Jonny ended up tacking on an additional twelve miles so I don't feel too bad.

As the afternoon wore on I started getting brief intermiddant stinging pain behind the janky knee.  Not sure what that's all about but hopefully it's a temporary pain that'll be gone by tomorrow.

Weekly Mileage: 28.7 miles

Year to Date: 256.7 miles

2 comments:

  1. Does changing your cover photo to one without snow signal the end of winter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right. With the snow on the retreat I figured it was time to switch up the cover. The one from last year's Ocean's Run seemed appropriate.

      Delete