Sunday, May 31, 2015

Weekly Log: 5.25.15 - 5.31.15

May is wrapping up already and I finally have a race goal on the horizon as I've a kickass group of runners doing the Ragnar Trail relay in northern Mass at the end of June.  Now to keep the running momentum going.

Monday - Exeter, RI - 11.1 miles

It's Memorial Day and I joined Bob Jackman, Jeff and Garvin for an early run in Arcadia.  My pinky toe has been having blister problems but wrapping it this morning seemed to help.  However the outside of my left foot was sore this morning which was a new hurt.  It continued through the whole run.  The run itself was enjoyable.  We made our way up to the Step Stone Falls and continued along the North-South trail further on a section I had never explored before.  There were some definite mud/water hazards on this sections.  Jeff went splashing through as usual and one proved deeper than he suspected - he went down and was almost submerged.  A little while later we found ourselves on a road above the trail we needed to get to.  Bob suggested (jokingly) that we could bushwack our way down and the next thing you know Jeff is leading the charge down the steep hill.  The Gazelle would not be stopped on this run!

Tuesday - 0 miles

That outside foot pain is very sore today.  It doesn't feel right.  I'm worried it might be a stress fracture.  Definitely not running today.

Wednesday - Providence, RI - 6 miles

Foot feels much better today.  A little lingering soreness once in a while but I decided to try a run.  Not much pep and it was pretty hot outside so I did some an easy road/trail mix on the East Side along the river.  Pretty blah run but the foot had no pain so I'm happy.   My Garmin Forerunner 305 was unable to load the road afterwards.

Thursday - Seekonk, MA - 5 miles

Ab Ripper X (15 minutes)

So I think the  ol' Forerunner is finally toast.  Yesterday it couldn't load up runs and today it won't even turn on.  A sad day for myself.  And America as well.  Today I ran the dirt roads I recently discovered near Caratunk.  It's a fun mix of singletrack and wide dirt roads and I found there's a nice little trail that circles a small pond.  However I had my first run in with deer flies of the season.  Noooo!

Friday - Seekonk, MA - 9.5 miles

190 push-ups (standard/military/decline/wide) 30/20/20/30/25/20/20/25

With no magical spacewatch, I plotted out a route in advance on the country roads of Seekonk.  Another hot day but fortunately much of the run was cloudy.  The last time I was here the roads were icy and the shoulders snow covered.  Much easier running now but the deer flies found me along the most heavily wooded sections.  That damn pinky toe blister began to make itself know by the halfway point even though I wrapped it up.  Satisfying mid-distance run otherwise.

Saturday - Charlestown, RI - 3.1 miles

Ezri and I ran the Charlestown Fit 5k at Ninigret put on by Charlestown Elementary.  Jonny was working hard at the registration table.  Ezri and I had done a couple training runs but I wasn't sure she's go the distance, especially since the course was three loops on the bike track.  Thanksfully there was a serious fog blanket over Ninigret which made for cool running.  Ezri ran the first mile in just under 10 minutes and then the walking breaks began.  She didn't like me running alongside her so I lagged a bit behind.  Eventually she fell in with a couple older girls and the three of them walked/ran the last miles.  She finished in just under 40 minutes.  She did a great job and got 1st place for kindergarten!

Sunday - Charlestown, RI - 14 miles

No motivation to get up early and run - Amanda took the dog out and then cajoled me into getting out there before the rain came.  Humid but cloudy morning and once I got going I perked up.  I took the Narragansett trail over towards the Carter Preserve.  I jump into the Preserve briefly to take the Red and Connector trails up to Charlestown Elementary.  Then I headed towards Shannock village before taking roads to the top of Shannock hill.  Such a brutal climb.  And with no spacewatch I missed out on stats for the Strava elevation challenge!  Such is life.  From the hill I took a pretty direct path back to the house and then calculated the mileage.  A good run - the pinky toe blister wasn't an issue though my legs were beat by the end.  The rain never ended up reaching us but I thank Amanda for getting me out the door.

Weekly Mileage: 48.7 miles

Year to Date: 738.8 miles


Another good week of running to cap May.  I ended up tying second best monthly total mileage ever with 203 miles.  Good stuff!

1 comment:

  1. Bob was joking about the downhill bushwhacking? I guess careful what you joke about. I thought it was a trip.
    I'd say your 305 lived a good long life. I'm on my 4th Garmin spacewatch now.

    ReplyDelete