Thursday, December 27, 2012

Weekly Log: 12.23.12 - 12.30.12

Monday - Ryan Park - North Kingstown, RI - 6.1 miles

Although I have to work on Christmas Eve which is crap I made the best of it by stopping at Ryan Park and running work.  I thought this would be a good opportunity to run the upcoming Belleville Pond 10k course (South County 4th Season race #3.)  Pulling into the park I saw a group of about six women in the middle of the lot.  They took off running into the park as I was getting ready.  On the trails I encountered several people walking dogs including a couple running with their canine.  Ryan Park is apparently a popular spot, even on cold mornings.

I did a pretty good job of remembering the course considering it's been a year.  I think I took a wrong turn after the sand dunes because the trail didn't look familiar.  It took me down past a marshy area that I didn't remember from the race.  But it eventually led to the old railbed section so I probably hit at least 90% of the course in the end. 



Tuesday - 0 miles

Merry Christmas!   It was filled with family, food and fun.  Lots of pie, good beer and my mother-in-law's devilish peanut butter balls. 

Wednesday - Smithfield, RI - 6.9 miles

Time to work off those peanut butter balls.  I decided to stick to roads today so I did a big loop up in Smithfield.  This did involve a short trail section at the beginning for which I was very happy - it was wonderful out there in the woods.  There was a light covering of snow on the ground and small frozen pools of water everywhere.  Very pleasant running in this cold winter environment.

After the trail section, I jumped onto Rocky Hill Rd - a wide, quiet road with a couple good hills.  The roads weren't as enriching as running in the woods but I wanted an even surface for today's run to give my janky foot a break.  It doesn't hurt or anything but I don't want to overdo the trail running.  Other than a few icy spots the roads were uneventful.  I was wearing my thermals and thought I'd also need my fleece vest but it proved to be overkill as I was overheating for the last couple miles.



Thursday - Smithfield, RI - 6 miles

Ab Ripper X (20 minutes)

My plan was to get in a track workout at Bryant.  It had been raining all night but it was supposed to start tapering off by 8 AM so I figured it wouldn't be too bad for running.  Once I pulled into the Bryant parking lot I realized my plan was flawed.  There was an inch of slush throughout the parking lot and just as much on the track.  My feet were soaked within 30 seconds and I realized the track workout was not going to happen.

So instead I just started to run through the Bryant campus, trying to find walkways which were clear of slush and ponds.  After a few minutes I opted to leave campus on one of the side roads and just run.  It was hard to avoid water as it was pooling all over the place so I just plowed through.  A ran a few miles to the Smith Appleby House - just a couple historic buildings and a barn.

As I turned around it began to pour.  So much for it tapering off.  The water finally breached my rain jacket and I was drenched for the return trip.  Despite the awful conditions I was actually enjoying myself.  I'm sure the passing motorists were amused by this crazy asshole running in the rain with a big smile on his face.  Near the end my hands were really starting to get cold so I was happy when I finally made it back to my car.

Friday - Charlestown, RI - 5.1 miles

Short early morning run down Old Coach and back.  It was cold of course but the moon was huge and bright in the sky.  I included a couple quick Charlestown Land Trust sections in the run.  At one point I roused a bird in the tall grass next to me - scared the shit out of me.

Saturday - 0 miles

Sunday - 0 miles

I traveled to New York on Saturday for a Phish show which left me with neither the time, energy or inclination to run.

Weekly mileage: 24.1 miles

 Year to Date: 1256.8 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment