Saturday, October 19, 2013

Weekly Log: 10.14.13 - 10.20.13

Amanda and I are going on a backpacking trip to the Carter Notch Hut at the end of the week. Hopefully the weather cooperates but either way I'm excited. So probably not a lot of running this week but hopefully I'll get in a few P90X workouts.

Monday - Powder Mills Preserve, Smithfield, RI - 6.1 miles

It's Columbus Day and I have to work. Sigh. However the light traffic and early departure meant I could swing by the Powder Mills Ledges Preserve, a place I haven't run at in probably 8 months. It was a beautiful crisp fall morning. I had brought a hat which I didn't need but I wish I had remembered gloves! My hands were freezing for the first mile or so.

The preserve itself is rather small but I jumped on the powerline road and made my way over to some sporty dirt bike trails. On the dirt road I saw some wonderful views. From the clear high point, I could see blankets of fog covering the lower sections of the road in both directions. The sun was just beginning to rise above the trees which broke up the fog just so. A splendid moment.

Fallen leaves made the dirt bike trails really difficult to follow. Luckily those plucky dirt bikers tied lots of pink plastic ribbons to the trees along the path. Whenever I got stuck I just looked for those ribbons. By now I was nice and warm - gloves no longer missed.


Tueday - 0 miles

P90X Shoulders & Arms (50 minutes)

Back to the weights! I had a good upper body workout this morning. I was going to get in a short run in the early evening but my Janky Toe was acting up (it felt like pin pricks on the bottom of it. Nerve perhaps?) There's a high likelihood that I won't be running for the rest of the week which would make this my shortest mileage week and longest break from running since the year began. Crazy to think about it like that. And at any rate my legs (and whole body) will be getting a good workout on Friday/Saturday in the mountains so it's not like I'm taking it that easy.

Wednesday - 0 miles

P90X2 Yoga X2 (65 minutes)

It's been about a month and a half since I did any yoga. Far too long. So of the poses/moves were a struggle but I got through it.

Thursday - 0 miles

Amanda tweaked her back in the morning and our hiking trip is in jeopardy.  We still drove up to Dover, NH to stay with friends and will play it by ear in the morning.

Friday - Hiked to the Carter Notch Hut 

Amanda's back was better.  3.8 miles and 1,900 feet of elevation gain.

Saturday - Hiked Carter Dome and then back to the car

6.2 miles and 1,600 feet of elevation gain.

Sunday - 0 miles

Ouch.  My upper back is in some pain after the backpacking.  Hard to turn my head to the left.  Calves are pretty sore as well.  Me thinks I'll be taking it easy today.

Weekly Mileage: 6.1 miles

Year to Date: 1,430.6 miles


Lowest mileage week of the year.  I'd say that it's good to have a couple easy weeks but I'm feeling pretty beat up after lugging a heavy pack for two days.  S'ok as I had a great time hiking with my lovely wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment