Thursday, October 31, 2013

Weekly Log: 10.28.13 - 11.3.13

Monday - Smithfield, RI - 6.6. miles

Another Monday, another fall run. Legs were a little stiff after yesterday's 5k but no worse for wear. Back's still a little off. I ran up at work but tried to run trails in the opposite direction of what I was used to. Changed it up a bit and made it more interesting. Had to skip a couple trails where the leaves made it difficult to even see the path. I spied a hunter blind attached to a tree next to one of the singletrack trails. It was a nifty little ladder thing with room for one at the top. I kinda wanted to climb up there and check it out but I thought better of it. Don't forget to wear your orange folks!


Tuesday - Hopkinton, RI - 7 miles

Ugh. My back and shoulder feel worse then they have in days. Man I never would have thought that backpacking would take such a toll on my body. Everyday I expect to get back to feeling normal but it's just not happening.

Decided to run some hills in Hopkinton in the evening to chase elevation for a new Strava challenge. It was almost dark when I started so I used my headlamp. I ran up and down Route 3. It actually has a pretty wide breakdown lane and doesn't get a ton of traffic with Route 95 next door so it was a pretty stress-free road run. The only problem was car etiquette. Drivers would turn off their high beams when they saw my headlamp but it seemed like at least half turn 'em back on when they realized I wasn't a car. Thanks assholes!

I didn't nab as much elevation as I had hoped for. Only 500 feet or so. But the back didn't bother me while running and my pace was snappy so I'm pleased with the run.


Wednesday - 0 miles

Go away Janky Back.

Thursday - Wolf Hill, Smithfield, RI - 6.25 miles

Headed up to Wolf Hill on a super foggy morning to beat myself up on more hills. Are you not entertained, Strava?!? Pretty tired after staying up late to watch the Sox celebrate their World Series win but I perked up once I hit the trails. A heavy coating of leaves made for some tough terrain and I spent some time hiking and exploring new makeshift "trails" at the quarry. I didn't exactly have a lot of pep on the uphills but I feel like I gave it an honest effort.

Friday - Charlestown, RI - 5.8 miles

Amanda suggested that I let Ezri sleep in since she was up late, candy drunk from her Halloween spoils.  It's been awhile since I ran in the wee morning hours but I got out the door at 5:30 AM.  Crazy warm and windy - it certainly didn't feel like the first day of November.  I took Mohawk Dr over to the nearby fancy homes, running the short hills and forever chasing Strava elevation.  The warm humid air soon had me sweating and I enjoyed this early morning run.


Saturday - 0 miles


Sunday - Burlingame, Charlestown, RI - 11 miles

Met up at daybreak at the Watchaug Beach parking lot with Jeff, Mike B, Chris, FiveK and Muddy along with a couple other local runners in order to run the upcoming Li'l Rhody course.  Pace was easy and the conversation was fun.  After completing the Vin Gormley loop, we ventured over to the Kettle Pond trails to check out a new observation tower.  I've had very little experience with these trails.  There's some fun singletrack and smooth wide paths.  The observation tower is pretty sweet - brand new with great views of the coast and Block Island.  I'll definitely be bringing the girls out here.



Weekly Mileage: 36.6 miles

Year to Date: 1,497.7 miles

1 comment: