Friday, October 11, 2013

Weekly Log: 10.7.13 - 10.13.13

With NipMuck in the rearview mirror, it's time for a couple of easy weeks. I have a feeling that my 30+ mile per week streak will be coming to an end and that's fine by me. Shorter races are on the horizon and other than a (hopeful) return to some speedwork, I don't feel any need to train in any particular fashion for them.

Monday - 0 miles

Oh yes, very sore. NipMuck did a number on my legs, my quads in particular. I make extra grunty old man noises every time I get up from a chair. Also a lot of soreness in my upper back which I didn't expect. The DOMS got progressively worse as the day went on but it's a price I'm happy to pay as I'm still on Cloud 9 from yesterday.

Tuesday - Hopkinton, RI - 4 miles

A lot of the soreness has faded and I opted for a short run in the evening.  Briefly explored some dunes on the far side of the golf course but then stuck to roads for the rest of the run.



Wednesday - 0 miles

Ab Ripper X (15 minutes)

I think my NipMuck performance was not only the result of lots of trail miles but also the consistent P90X work that I put in this year.  I hadn't done as much as the marathon approached but now that it's over I intend to get back into my regimen.  At night we finished off the apple pie.  Yummy.

Thursday - 0 miles

Didn't have time to run and I had no desire to do a workout this morning.  This week I'm eating a lot of crap and taking it easy as a just reward for my efforts.  Just gotta make sure that I get back into my routines next week.  The Blood Drive came to the office today which was perfect timing since I'm having an easy week.  I did my part and donated so cheers to me.

Friday - Smithfield, RI - 4.7 miles

Classic autumn run in the woods around Fidelity. The air was crisp, leaves were falling, covering the singletrack and the smell of woodsmoke was in the air. An enjoyable easy run except that I took a digger near the end and re-aggravated my left big toe. It's never fully healed from when I smashed it over the summer and it's been a thorn in my side ever since. A few hours later and it feels normal again but I know it'll have to be addressed at some point.

Saturday - Grills Preserve, Hopkinton, RI - 10.1 miles

Big WTAC early morning group run with Jonny, Jeff, Muddy, FiveK, Mike B and Chris G.  It was fun catching up with everyone and chatting up last weekend's races.  We ran the perimeter of the southern Grills before crossing the mystical silver bridge.  We ascended up to the forbidden vista and then took the rocky, technical trail to the non-existent bridge.  But wait!  Foundations are finally in place for this long-awaited bridge and the swamp was actually dry enough to run through without fear of submersion.  Muddy was unnaturally excited about this forthcoming architectural wonder.  Most of the group took the roads back to the parking lot but Muddy, Jonny & I retraced our steps back through the trails.  Looking forward to more of these group adventures as fall wears on.


Sunday - 0 miles


Weekly Mileage: 18.8 miles

Year to Date: 1,424.5 miles


And so the 30 MPW streak ends.  I had a good run (22 consecutive weeks I think) and now need to focus on getting my janky big toe healthy so that it doesn't interfere with the fall/winter races.

No comments:

Post a Comment