Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Weekly Log: 9.30.13 - 10.6.13

NipMuck week is here (how'd that happen?) I feel good. Feel like I'm ready to improve handily on last year's performance. As runners often do, I've devised three goal posts for this race, from blindingly optimistic to very manageable.

A Goal: PR in the marathon. Sounds crazy to think about a marathon PR on NipMuck right? Well my first road marathon back in May 2012 is still technically my fastest at 3:56:52. It's not entirely out of the realm of possiblity that I could run under that on Sunday. It'd be tough as hell - but that's why it's my A goal.

B Goal: Sub-4 hours. This is the one I really want to achieve. It's really only three minutes slower than the A goal but those three minutes could be an eternity out on the trail. This would involve running every mile 30 seconds faster than last year - a goal that I think is achievable.

C Goal: Beat last year's time of 4:12:09. This is my fallback goal and should be no problem, barring any injuries/issues. The only question is how many minutes I shave off last year.

Monday - 0 miles

Ab Ripper X (15 minutes)

I skipped the morning run in order to hit up my company's health & wellness screening before work. They were offering flu shots and I was on the fence about getting it with only six days until NipMuck. I kept going back and forth but ultimately decided to just get it done. I know I'm just being paranoid but I hope I don't regret this decision.

Tuesday - Black Farm, Hopkinton, RI - 5.1 miles

Having not run since Saturday, I wanted to do a short evening run to shake out the legs. Ran from the SCMC parking lot into the nearby neighborhood. I felt pretty lethargic to start the run. I'm fat and slow, I thought. How will I ever run a marathon in the woods? I should've never gotten that flu shot! After about a mile the negativity faded and I realized it was just the mind playing tricks since I hadn't run in a few days. Decided to take the trails into Black Farm which was the right choice. The grass in the open field section was a brilliant purple color and the trees along the Woodville River have begun to turn. I finished the run on the same neighborhood roads but my head was in a much better place.



Wednesday - 0 miles

P90X Chest & Back (50 minutes)

Thursday - Bryant Trails, Smithfield, RI - 4.6 miles

For this short run, I decided to park at Bryant and explore a trail that branches off their woodland cross country course. I had begun to check it out previously but had to turn around due to time. I went further this time and as I suspected it eventually joined trails that I had ran back in March. Back then the snow hid the trail from me. Now the trail was very visible under a fresh blanket of fall leaves. It's always fun exploring new trails and connecting them to others.



Friday - Ryan Park, North Kingstown, RI - 3.4 miles

Nice easy loop around Ryan Park including a short road section. Felt a little slow but I took it easy and just enjoyed the fall colors. I'm as ready as I'm going to be for Sunday

I brewed an Imperial IPA in the evening.  Took longer than I anticipated to heat up/cool down the wort (confirming that 2.5 gallon batches are about all my electric glasstop stove can handle.)  I also rehydrated the yeast for the first time as well as attempt a late extract addition.  With everything going on it ended up taking a lot longer than I anticipated but I think it'll pay off in the end.  I'm calling it the Imperial Runner's High PA. (OG 1.08)

Saturday - 0 miles

Went to a bachelor party BBQ in the afternoon and had some fun with the boys.  Skipped the night's festivities since I'm racing tomorrow.  Came home to the fermenter bubblin' away.  Excellent.

Sunday - NipMuck Trail Marathon - 26.4 miles

3rd overall!  Unofficial time: 3:42.   Incredible race!  I bring forth the pie and make my children cry.  Report here.


Weekly Mileage: 38.8 miles

Year to Date: 1,405.7 miles


3 comments:

  1. That's a pretty good set of goals, Seth! Looking forward to getting it done...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will do fine - good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes for Nip Muck!!!!

    ReplyDelete