Friday, January 17, 2014

Weekly Log: 1.13.14 - 1.19.14

Monday - 0 miles

I had stuff to do this morning so a run/workout didn't happen.

Tuesday - Charlestown, RI - 3.6 miles

Ab Ripper X (15 minutes)

Took the dog out for an early morning jog.  Love this warm January weather!  Oliver was a bit of a pill but we got a decent amount of miles in.  Then banged out the Ripper.

Wednesday - Bryant Track, Smithfield, RI - 8 miles

P90X2 Yoga X2 (60 minutes)

Finally did Yoga!  It's been three months.  Definitely out of practice - I couldn't execute a bunch of the moves.  Hopefully I can make this a weekly thing again.

My intention was to do some speed work in the evening.  Seems like everyone had the same idea - lot of intervals on Strava today.  Went over to the North Smithfield High track but the parking lot was closed and I didn't really want to sneak in there.  Drove over to Bryant and the track was accessible.  There was even enough light from nearby buildings to make a headlamp unnecessary.   Decided to do 800s since I'm a track noob and I don't have Galoob's fancy training plan filled with Rs, Fs and Is.  I ran six with my time dropping from 1:57 on the first to 1:47 on the last.  Last couple were taxing but I don't think I was working hard enough on the first few.  Still, it was good to get back to the track.  Like the yoga I want to make this a weekly occurrence.

Thursday - Ryan Park, North Kingstown, RI - 6.3 miles

With the Belleville Pond 10k on the horizon, I decided to scope out the trails.  I parked at what would be the halfway mark of the course and ran the 2nd half of the race first.  Ran in shorts and a tech shirt with gloves and hat -warm out!  Though it was responsible for some flooding on the trails and I had to take a detour at one point.  Legs didn't have much pep after last night's track work.  I had planned to run 8 miles but my shins were achy so I was content to run 10k and call it a day.

Friday - Smithfield, RI - 6.8 miles

I took to the woods around Fidelity and enjoyed the weather as I cruised the singletrack.  It felt like a crisp fall day!  Legs had a lot more pep than yesterday and while my left ankle isn't completely recovered from its last few rolls it held up fine.


Satruday - 0 miles


Sunday - Charlestown, RI - 16 miles

Been a couple weeks since I did a long run with the South County trail races over the past two weekends.  Today I decided to check out a section of the North-South trail I hadn't run.  I parked at the Carter Preserve up near the power lines and started by running the grassland loop.  Took the dirt trail over to King's Factory Road which is part of the N-S Trail.  It turns onto Route 91 and soon veered onto actual singletrack.  I kept following the blue blazes.

After passing through open farmland, I hit more singletrack and eventually Pine Hill Road.  I decided I was going to take the roads back to Carter Preserve but first I continued along the N-S which followed a dirt road into the Carolina Management Area.  After a bit I recognized where I was and followed some more singletrack until I had run 8 miles total.  There was a good amount of gunfire nearby and I was ready to head back.

I took the roads back to Carter and ran the last few miles on their trails.  Stopped to dump the rocks out of my shoes while a man and his dog passed.  The damn dog tried to steal my gloves!  The hilly singletrack wore my tired legs down and I was pleased when I got back to the car.  A fun mix of pavement, dirt roads and singletrack.  We'll definitely have to string together a longer North-South run at some point.



Weekly Mileage: 40.7 miles

Year to Date: 94 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment