Thursday, February 19, 2015

Weekly Log: 2.16.15 - 2.22.15

Another week of winter.  Hopefully I can keep the running momentum going.  With all the snow I'm not sure when Brrr-lingame will be taking place.  But with three weeks until Ocean's Run, I'm pretty much past the point about being able to do anything to prepare.  Best to just keep the mileage up and see what happens.

Monday - Charlestown, RI - 3.1 miles

It was fucking cold today but luckily I had the day off thanks to Presidents Day.  Took Oliver for a quick jog at lunchtime.  By then the temp was manageable outside.  We had to cut it short as he developed a limp around mile two.  This has happened occasionally to him before.  After a moment he seemed alright and we made our way back to the house with no further incidents.

Tuesday - 0 miles

More fucking snow but this time I'm at work for a change.  It was really coming down in the morning and I had no appetite for driving somewhere on shitty roads to find a place to run.

Look at this shit!

Wednesday - Seekonk, MA - 7.5 miles

Running near work is not possible.  The snow and crazy drivers make the roads death traps for runners.  But the country roads of nearby Seekonk are a different story.  I parked at the Wheeler School track which was immaculately plowed and then did a easy loop with a few side streets thrown in for good measure.  Streets were fairly clear of slop and there weren't too many cars to worry about.  At the beginning I felt tired and wondered how I was ever going to run Ocean's Run 1/2 in 2.5 weeks.  Eventually I loosened up and felt better about things.  My janky knee did hurt a bit towards the end of the run but I'm going to try not to worry about it.

Thursday - Seekonk, MA - 8.5 miles

I enjoyed yesterday's run so much that I decided to return to the Wheeler parking lot and try a new loop.  I usually carry clothes and items for every running contingency but somehow I forgot my hat and gloves.  I settled for my knit Red Sox hat that I had worn by accident at the Belleville Pond 10k.  For my hands I just wrapped them in a couple extra tech shirts I had brought, though it made me look more disheveled than normal.

Actually this run was mostly in Rehoboth and the roads were considerably worse than yesterday from a little snow during the night.  I soon found myself running on all snow but luckily the New Balance road shoes had pretty decent traction.  There weren't too many cars and I could duck to the side whenever one appeared.  Around mile 5 I reached some fancy wide open neighborhood and then the wind really hit me.  My shorts were pretty flimsy and with the cold wind I soon experienced a stinging sensation down under.  It was rather unpleasant for the rest of the run but it wasn't enough to bum me out - this was a fun run otherwise.  I'm looking forward to exploring more of these country roads in the warmer months.

Friday - 0 miles

Colds as balls out there and the company president is coming to the office today for lunch.  Good day to take a zero after the last two days of good running.

Saturday - Charlestown, RI - 12 miles

With band practice the night before and subzero temps in the morning, I had no desire to run early.  As the day wore on the temperature warmed to a balmy 30 degrees but my motivation dwindled even further.  Finally I dragged myself out there as Oliver needed a walk.  We did 5.5 miles, getting pretty dirty in the process.  I dropped him off at the house where Amanda proceeded to give him a bath and I set out again, hitting side roads on the way to the Nordic Lodge.  The Nordic road was still covered in snow and slippery at points but it was nice running in a quiet winterscape.  On the way back to the house my legs began to run out a steam - it's been a while since I ran 12 miles and it showed.  Still I'm glad I defeated my own desire to do nothing and got out there.


Sunday - 0 miles

Wasn't planning on running today and just as well.  It was a rainy, slushy mess out there.  Our well pump finally crapped out at noon which I've been worried about for years.  Finally it happened.  And then the car got stuck in the slush trying to get out of the driveway.   What a messy way to end the week and now we don't have water.

Weekly Mileage: 31.1 miles

Year to Date: 190.9 miles


I hit 30 miles for the week which is what I wanted.  If I can keep this mileage up for the next couple weeks I'll be happy.  Looking forward to getting back in the woods one day.  Now to get this well pump fixed.

2 comments:

  1. Nice week you have going, in spite of the weather! I'm assuming that "weekly log 5.16.15 to 5.22.15" is an optimistic way to spin winter into spring?

    ReplyDelete