Thursday, February 5, 2015

Weekly Log: 2.2.14 - 2.8.14

More snow.  The mild winter of December and early January is long gone.  The forecast for the foreseeable future is dire and I don't know how the hell we're going to run the Belleville Pond 10k on Sunday.  It seems guaranteed to be more painful than last year.

Monday - 0 miles

A shitty storm of snow,  rain and ice is pelting the house today and I'm working from home again which is wonderful.  My knee's a bit achy - probably from overdoing it with the sledding yesterday - and my desire to run is very low.  I'm feeling pretty lethargic and lazy.  I could have gotten out there but it looked miserable.

Tuesday - Charlestown, RI - 4.5 miles

Another work from home day.  I assume East Providence has been completely wiped out by snow.  I may never return there again.  My wife, recognizing that I've been shirking my runs, asked me to walk the dog since I'd be home during the day.  We set out at lunchtime and did 4.5 miles.  I wore Yaktrax and actually wished the roads were worse than they were.  I could've gotten away without them.  I found myself trying to run on whatever slush/snow I could find to avoid the pavement.  Oliver was absolutely filthy by the end.  Amanda says he is the color of dirty snow.  I had some ankle soreness by the end but I'm glad I finally got out there.  Now to make it a habit.

Wednesday - East Providence, RI - 3.8 miles

Finally back in the office and there are just huge mounds of snow everywhere.  This town is a mess.  It's tough pulling out as you can't see what's coming.  People are supposed to shovel the sidewalk in front of their house but there was no way I was running there.  I headed over to the Ten Mile River Bike Path hoping beyond hope that it would be plowed.  Amazingly it was.  There was a nice layer of snow underfoot and the running was great...for about half a mile.  Then the plowing ended and a rough path made by many tracks lay ahead.  Footprints, snowshoes, skis - they had all been out here but the snow was still deep and the going was slow.  Yesterday's sore ankle began to ache.  Guess I'll need to dig out my ankle brace from the bottom drawer.  I made it up to Slater Park and back which I consider a victory.  It was really tough going out there and now I'm dreading Saturday's "race."

Thursday - East Providence, RI - 5 miles

Some snow during the day here at work but it amounted to less than an inch.  I returned to the Ten Mile River Bike Path and decided to just do repeats on the 1/2 mile of plowed path.  I actually really enjoyed this - I was alone, there was just enough snow for a crunchy path and I was able to keep my pace around 7:30.  I just wish I had been able to get out earlier and run in the snow shower.  Ankle was a bit sore but really not bad.  Hopefully I remember to wear the brace on Saturday because I have a feeling I'll need it!


Friday - 0 miles


Saturday - Belleville Pond 10k - 9.3 miles

Tough race in the snow but fun and satisfying.  Report forthcoming.

It dawned on me as I drove to the race that the Ocean's Run Half is only four weeks away.  Yikes!  I haven't run 13 miles since Bimbler's! 

Sunday - Charlestown, RI - 2.8 miles

Quads are pretty sore after yesterday's snowy trail race.  Did a short run on nearby streets to shake 'em out.  I realized that going forward I need to shove more of these short three mile runs into my week.  Hey they work for Bob Jackman, right?

Weekly Mileage: 25.2 miles

Year to Date: 125.9 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment