Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Weekly Log: 9.28.15 - 10.4.15

Things are in flux.  In my life and in running.  I have a feeling this will be a lower mileage week as my legs have been feeling it.  A rest is probably needed.  I'm still considering the 6 Hour Ultra in November but I'll probably wait until the last minute to decide.

Monday - 0 miles

After yesterday's blah long run it was easy to shirk off any running today.

Tuesday - West Greenwich, RI - 7 miles

175 push-ups (standard/diamond/wide) 30/20/35/30/20/40

RunningWarehouse had some trail Hoka's on sale and I was in need of some trail shoes so I pulled the trigger.  This was the maiden run - the cushioning is definitely nice and helps on the downhills.  I went to Big River, parking at Hopkins Hill lot but heading west towards the quarry.  I was surprised that I found the Secret Lookout with no problems.  Then I took Elephant and the Azalea trail over by the hunting club before heading back towards the car.  I liked the shoes but they had a tendency to roll on me, I'm guessing due not being used to the extra cushioning.  I had one bad roll which was frustrating as this ankle just can't heal up.  I need to put that ankle brace on for any trail run now.

Wednesday - Cranston, RI - 4 miles

After stopping at REI in Cranston I had the idea to check out some trails I have long thought about.  There are trails along the "canyon" of I-295 and I knew there was a path underneath the highway to reach them.  I parked at a middle school and was dismayed to hear a shitload of gunfire coming from the hill I had planned to climb.  Turns out the Cranston Police Academy was next door.  After a brief road section where I considered my options, I found a trail than ran alongside the hill opposite the Po-Po.   This was a fun little climb and it eventually led to a two lane road.  At first I thought this was 295 but then realized I was off-course.  I ventured on and discovered some trails that appeared to be part of a camp.  It was already getting late so I retreated to the car.  After I uploaded the run I realized where I went wrong.  Another time.

Thursday - Exeter, RI - 7.5 miles

Early morning run in Arcadia.  It was a crisp fall morning - perfect!  I stuck to dirt roads for the bulk of it and then took the trail around Breakheart Pond and went back towards the car via the J B Hudson Trail.  I wore the ankle brace yesterday and today which seemed to help, though it was hard getting it into the Hokas.  A fun run and I really liked running in the Hokas again.  The only problem was the calf soreness which is still creeping up towards the end of these runs.

Friday - 0 miles


Saturday - 0 miles


Sunday - Smithfield, RI - 3.5 miles


In an effort to give my legs a chance to rest I took a couple days off.  Today instead of running I decided to take Ezri for a hike.  Originally I wanted to hit up Wachusett Mountain but that didn't pan out.  Wolf Hill in Smithfield was an excellent substitute.  We hit up most of the points of interest on this one and had a good time.  I wore a 30 lb backpack in preparation for a White Mountain excursion next week.  Okay so this wasn't technically a run but from now I'm considering hiking as a perfectly acceptable "time on feet" alternative that gets added to the weekly mileage.

Weekly Mileage 22 miles
Year to Date: 1,501.6 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment