Thursday, January 5, 2017

Weekly Log: 1.2.17 - 1.8.17

In honor of the new year let's see if I can make the weekly blog habit stick. This weekend marks the beginning of the 4th Season winter trail series put on by Mike Galoob.  Some reshuffling meant that the Old Mountain 5k would be in February rather than December.  So the Resolution 5k starts it off this weekend.  I usually have a pretty good race here and there may actually be some snow on the ground.  Not sure what kind of speed I have but I'm looking forward to it.

Monday - Richmond, RI - 11.1 miles

5 minutes of planks (longest - 2:20)

Last of day of my Christmas break before I drag myself back up to East Providence.  Made the most of it with a medium length trail run at the Carolina Management Area.  As often happens I wasn't sure of my route until I approved my destination then a loop popped into my head.  I parked along Pine Hill Rd and ran into southern Carolina where I've never been.  Once it intersected with the North/South trail I headed north back towards the road.  I came upon a group of 7-8 middle aged asians. They were decked in orange and thought they were just hiking until I spied rifles on all their shoulders.  Definitely not the kind of hunters you expect but they seemed nice enough.

A brief road section took my over to Shadow Ridge Rd and through the backdoor into Carolina North.  It began to hail a bit but it was the tiniest hail possible.  I ran a couple hilly loops around the trout pond and then headed back towards the car.  A good mid-distance trail run to start the week.

Oh and my wonderful wife got me a GoPro camera for Christmas.  I need a lot of practice with it.  I suspect I'll use it more for hiking than running but it'll be cool to get some action shots of other folks.  Here's a cute little campsite along the Pawcatuck that I found during today's run:



Tuesday - 0 miles

3.5 minutes of planks (longest - 1:35)

Back at work.  Blah.  No running today as it my wont on Tuesdays.  Also it was pouring outside.  I did go to lunch yoga however.  Not my best session but I got it done.  Planks this morning were very tough and I didn't get far.

Wednesday - East Providence, RI - 7 miles

5 minutes of planks (longest - 2:20)
205 push-ups (standard/wide) 30/35/35/35/40/30

My lunch run possibilities all sounded dreary but I eventually opted to head over to Riverside and run some quieter roads. It was chilly in the low 40s at first without hat and gloves but soon enough I was perfect. I headed over to some old sand pits near Barrington.  Found some abandoned house atop the pit that had been well and truly trashed.  No doubt a party zone for seedy folk.  Heading back towards the car, I had some extra miles to do so I just jumped on the East Bay bike path for a bit.  Not a bad run overall and I had more pep than I thought.  But Riverside stank of sewage from the treatment plant nearby.  Yum.

Thursday - Seekonk, MA - 6.1 miles

4 minutes of planks (longest - 1:42)

Combined bits of a couple different routes into a new loop today up in Pawtucket/Seekonk.  A nice new loop but I got really tired after three miles.  I slogged through a mile of trails and began to feel a bit peppier but cut it short anyway.  No point in pushing it.

Friday - 0 miles

5 minutes of planks (longest - 2:32)

Working from home because of the morning snow.  A short lunch run on snowy trails sounded nice but I donated blood yesterday so I'm taking it easy today in preparation for tomorrow's race.  Also I may or not have just purchased Grand Theft Auto V so that may now be vying for my time.  Mwa ha ha!

Saturday - Resolution 5k - 5.6 miles

16th overall.  Separate write up to follow.

Sunday - Charlestown, RI - 3 miles

After getting dumped on with about 12-16 inches of snow yesterday, I got out for an enjoyable snowshoe hike in Carter Preserve (the idea of running on cruddy roads held no appeal).  Really beautiful out there and a few miles of breaking trail in Carter used leg muscles that had long been dormant.


Weekly Mileage: 32.6 miles
Year to Date: 36.8 miles


A decent week of running and a fun race - a good way to start the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment