Friday, March 10, 2017

Weekly Log: 3.6.17 - 3.12.17

A new week is upon us - let's make it a good one!

It has just occurred to me that the Belleville Pond 10k is this weekend.  I haven't given it much thought.  I suppose I should run - not much of an endorsement is it?  I don't really feel like I'm in racing shape but nevertheless I may throw my hat into the ring.

Monday - East Providence, RI - 7 miles

Sauntered out of the office at lunch and did a mix of pavement and nearby trails.  Not a bad run overall and a good jumpstart to the week.

Tuesday - 0 miles

7 minutes of planks (longest - 4:03)
175 push-ups

No running today but that was the plan.  Instead I went to lunch yoga.  It was a good session and hopefully I can make it a habit.  I tried a few months back and it didn't take.  Let's try again!

Wednesday - Providence, RI - 8.6 miles

6 minutes of planks (longest - 3:10)

My upper back/shoulders are good and sore from the push-ups/yoga.  That's what happens when you slack off.  It's a good feeling though.

The morning rain quickly dissipated and it was a lovely sunny day when I ventured out a lunch.  I decided to do an 8 mile loop I'm fond of that took me up and over Pawtucket.  I felt good right off the bat and by the time I hit Blackstone Blvd I was dropping to a sub 7 minute pace.  With a race on Saturday I was a little worried about keeping the pace so peppy but I decided not to worry about it and just let my legs do what they would.  I kept the pace up for the whole run, picking it up slightly as I went.  An unplanned tempo run.  I was on the fence about the Belleville Pond 10k - it may have been a mistake to push the pace today but it also confirmed I should sign up so I guess it was worth it in the end.

It's amazing how a few days of good exercise can make you feel much better.

Thursday - 0 miles

6:20 minutes of planks (longest - 3:02)
210 push-ups

That goddamn left ankle is sore today after my pleasure run yesterday.  Shitballs!  I was planning on doing five easy miles in the wind tunnel but opted to forgo a run.  Lazy or prudent?  You decide.  I was jazzed for Belleville Pond 10k after yesterday's run (especially with snow forecast for tomorrow) but this jank ank has stayed my hand about signing up.  Let's see what tomorrow brings (besides snow).

Friday - 0 miles

7:30 minutes of planks (longest - 4:02)

Ankle feels better than it did yesterday.  I'm working from home today with the snowstorm and I was tempted to get some early miles before the snow began.  I thought better of it though.  I pulled the trigger on tomorrow's 10k and I'm looking forward to racing on snowy trails.  No doubt it will trash my ankle so I'm resting it again today in anticipation of beating it up tomorrow.

Saturday - Belleville Pond 10k

6th overall.  A tough but good race.  Report forthcoming.

Sunday - Charlestown, RI - 5 miles

6 minutes of planks (longest - 3:03)

My ankle wasn't feeling too bad after yesterday's race which is a good sign.  I wanted to get out and try my new Dion running snowshoes.  They're a little bit larger than the racing version but I figure they'll work well on my White Mountain adventures as well.  I went over to Carter Preserve at lunch - temp was chilly but not too bad.  Unfortunately there just wasn't enough snow for the shoes.  I wore 'em over the powerlines and over to the grassland loop.  This was the one place where they were necessary.  There were some big drifts and it would have been rough going without them.  Once I got back in the woods I took 'em off and then carried them for another 3 miles.  Not as annoying as I feared and there was just enough snow to make it a fun run in regular trail shoes.


Weekly Mileage: 30 miles
Year to Date: 338 miles


A good week with a snowstorm, fun wintery race and an ankle that seems to be on the mend.  Progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment