Monday, January 7, 2019

Weekly Log: 12.31.18 - 1.6.19

We begin the week on the last day of 2018 and this is a good reason as any to attempt to continue resurrect this blog. I've been off from work since the 22nd which has been glorious but sadly it's time to head back to work this week.  At least it'll be a short week.

Monday - Stonington, CT - 13 miles / 4100 feet elevation

Despite having all this time off from work, my running was nearly nonexistent.  Determined to at least finish the year on a good note, I ventured over to Lantern Hill to "run" some repeats.  The family had gone hiking here two days prior and since my only previous visit had been at the end of an exhausting long adventure back in 2014 I had completely forgotten what a great climb it has.  I ran up the hill a total of 11 times with a short break in the middle to check out some other nearby trails.  I rolled my left ankle badly about 45 minutes in but the pain subsided and I soldiered on.  The nice thing about this long run/workout was that I could use my car as a base of operations in between ascents.  I'll definitely be returning here in 2019 because it has more continuous ascent then most other trails in this area.  And they mirror the Whites in technical style as well.

Tuesday - 0 miles

Happy New Year!  My ankle is definitely hurting today so plenty of ice and board games as I lounged around like a slug with no shame whatsoever.

Wednesday - 0 miles

Still some Jank McStank in them flappy ankles.  Another day off it is then.

Thursday - Providence, RI - 5 miles / 300 feet elevation

Determined to get out there, I strapped on an ankle brace and ran some Providence streets.  A dull ache in the back of my lower leg - not sure if it was from the brace, the lingering injury or just a smiting from a cruel God - but I took some walking breaks at points.  Beautiful day otherwise. 

Friday - Seekonk, MA - 4.4 miles / 250 feet elevation

Wife and I are heading up to NH this weekend so some easy trails during lunch today.  The Caratunk Preserve in Seekonk was very waterlogged - lots of rock and log hopping and some of the trails were just too flooded.  Ankle brace helped a lot but I still tweaked it a bit at one point.  Still a pretty great day out there in 40 degree weather so one can't complain.

Saturday - Crawford Notch, NH - 5.5 miles / 2400 elevation

My wife's shoulder has been troubling her and she was in so much pain that she decided not to hike.  So we parked at the Highland Center and she read a book by the fire for a few hours while I went up and down Mt Jackson.  The trip up was slow going, a reminder that I'm not nearly in the shape that I wish I was.  Great views at the top on a cloudy but warm day and I chatted with some folks for a bit.  Then a quick descent back to my Love at the Highland Center.  No issues with the ankle.  Microspikes the entire way and love of winter hiking = renewed.  This was my 12th winter peak of the NH 4ks.

Sunday - Waterville Valley, NH - 6 miles / 2500 elevation

I left our Plymouth hotel early to get to the Waterville Valley ski mountain parking lot at 6 AM.  Went up the to Mt Tecumseh at a relaxed pace.  A light snow the entire way was welcome.  Put on my snowshoes with a mile to go just to get some more experience with them.  Met an great guy and his kids who were camping at the top (good for them!)  Another fairly quick hike like yesterday (3 hours) and then I made my way back to the hotel and my wife to pack up.  Winter ascent # 13.

Weekly Mileage: 34 miles / 9700 elevation


A fine week of climbing!  The Monday at Lantern Hill helped but it was wonderful at always to spend a few days up in the Whites with my wife.  She didn't get to hike but we had a great time and I still was able to bag a couple winter peaks.  Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment