Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Weekly Log: 7.22.13 - 7:28.13

Last full week of July?  What in the wide wide world of sports is going on around here?  My big toe is pretty sore after last week's self-inflicted stupidity so I'll be taking it easy to begin the week because you know what's comin' on Friday:



That's right, it's time for the Blessing of the Humidity, er Fleet. I'm looking forward to the race despite the madness that accompanies this event (or perhaps because of it.) Last year I ran it in 1:17 - looking back I was probably underperforming. Considering that I just ran the Beaver 10 mile trail race in 1:14, I hope to break 70 minutes on Friday. We shall see.

Also this weekend is Amanda's second triathlon - the Crabman! I'm looking forward to cheering her on as well as all the WTACers that will be competing.

Monday - 0 miles

Ab Ripper X (15 minutes)

Tuesday - 0 miles

P90X Back & Biceps (60 minutes)

Dare I say that I'm really starting to enjoy this workout.  At first these arm exercises really didn't do much for me but I'm beginning to pick the right weights and it's making for a challenging and fun session.  I need to get some 15 and 20 pounders though as the adjustable dumbbells are a pain to change mid-workout.

Wednesday - 0 miles

P90X2 Yoga X2 (65 minutes)

My buddy sent me a copy of the P90X2 Yoga and I was excited to try it.  The original Yoga is often criticized for being too long at 1:30.  This one clocks in at just over 65 minutes.  Some of the balance poses are gone, there's about half as much ab work and the movement poses are much faster.   I like it.  Reminded me much more of the power yoga class I took a few months back.  The movement and balance postures are mixed together throughout which makes the whole session more interesting.  I'm looking forward to becoming more familiar with this workout.

My big toe's doing much better.  It still hurts if I bend it the wrong way but if I'm just walking around it's much less noticeable.  I plan to return to the trails tomorrow and then take on the Blessing on Friday.

Thursday - Fidelity trails, Smithfield, RI - 7 miles

Back on the train after four days off!  Today was the perfect day to run after the last few weeks of heat and humidity - cool, overcast and not a deer fly in the sky.  I ran the trails behind Fidelity and was pleased to see that the ATV trails had been recently maintained.  They made for very open and smooth run.  I noticed lots of what looked like wild blueberry bushes.  I was tempted but having no experience with wild fruit thought better of it.  I managed to discover another decent length of singletrack on the other side of the hilly and open gasline section.  I love how after all this time I'm still finding new trails to explore up here.

I ran in my MT20s - not as minimal as the MT00s but I still questioned my choice as my toe felt sore to begin the run.   Soon enough I forgot about it though except for the occasional rough landing.  I think it'll be fine for tomorrow since I'll be wearing my cushy 890s.  Bring on the Blessing!


 

Friday - Blessing of the Fleet 10 Mile Road Race - 12.5 miles

Ab Ripper X (15 minutes)

Results here. 79th overall.  Official time: 1:03:55.  Race report here.

Saturday - DuVal & Browning Trails, South Kingstown, RI - 10.2 miles

I wanted to follow up yesterday's hard effort at the Blessing with another decent run to get used to running tired.  I parked at the Browning Woods parking lot and took Gravelly Hill Road to get the road section out of the way.  I ran the trails around the Perryville cemetery and then took the DuVal track to Sand Plains Trail.  I kept the pace as snappy as I could - my legs weren't too tired from the Blessing but it was hot.  I ran through the old folks neighborhood and then took the Heart trail over to the Browning loop, running most of it counterclockwise.  Finished the run by checking out some of the swanky houses on Moraine Court.  If my legs weren't tired after the Blessing, they are now.


 

Sunday - South Kingstown, RI - 1.3 miles

Went down to Matunuck this morning to watch Amanda swim/ride/run the Crabman.  I dropped my daughter and in-laws near the beach and then parked the car and ran back to the event.  She did a great job!  It's impressive to watch her in action knowing how much work she's put into it.  It was great seeing so many WTACers succeed -  Shira, Crutch, Tommy 5k and of course all of the Walker men.  A strong performance by GunShow as well.  Afterwards I ran another half mile, racing Amanda to the O-Mist.   I was fueled by dreams of mid-morning beer and breakfast but she was on her bike and easily bested me.  Fun start to the day.

Weekly Mileage: 31.1 miles

Year to Date: 1,020.9 miles

4 comments:

  1. I would think you should be between 6-10min faster than your Beaver race time at the Blessing. It all depends on if you're more of a trail or road guy or equal. I would say you should crush 70min. I would make sure you get sort of near the front at the start so you can run with others at your pace. Good luck, you're fit. Run smart and enjoy the craziness of the Blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man. I definitely started too far back last year and all the bobbing and weaving at the beginning really threw off my mojo. I shan't make that mistake this time.

      Delete
  2. I think that you should be sub 65. Don't undersestimate your abilities! Definitely start up front. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn, laying down the gauntlet! I shall give it my all!

      Delete