Thursday, July 11, 2013

Weekly Log: 7.8.13 - 7.14.13

Back to drudgery of work after a week in the White Mountains. There should be less running for me this week with familial obligations to contend with.  Just as well as I could use a minor taper before the Run with the Beavers 10 mile trail race on Saturday.

In other news, I finally pulled the trigger and signed up for the NipMuck Trail Marathon on October 7th. I'm not ready to attempt another road marathon - I want to stay in the woods! And having experienced the NipMuck last year, I like that I'll be going into this race knowing what to expect.

In even more race news, I recently learned that the Li'l Rhody Runaround and Mews Tavern 5k will be on consecutive weekends this November - now I don't need to choose!

Monday - Fidelity trails, Smithfield, RI - 5.1 miles

Ab Ripper X (15 minutes)

Holy heat and humidity! I ran one of my favorite trails up here and was feeling pretty wasted by the end. So hot! Luckily the deer flies weren't too awful. Cold shower in the locker room was excellent.

Tuesday - 0 miles

P90X Chest & Back (60 minutes)

I wasn't sure how this was going to go since the last two times I attempted C&B I had to quit early with elbow pain. This time was much better. Elbow popped a bunch near the beginning but then settled down and was fine for the rest of the workout. The numbers on my push-ups/pull-ups were down a bit but that's to be expected. Overall I was pleased just to make it through the whole thing.

Wednesday - 0 miles

P90X Yoga X (60 minutes)

With the dehumidifier running in the basement, it was 81 degrees when I started to Yoga.  Made for a great session - I felt loose throughout and worked up a good sweat.

Thursday - Charlestown, RI - 8 miles

P90X Back & Biceps (50 minutes)

I had the day off with Ezri and didn't think I'd be running but my wonderful mother-in-law came over with dinner and spent some time with Ez, giving me a chance to get a run in.  It was hot and muggy and I had no business feeling great but I was carrying a water bottle and the fastish pace came naturally.   I only planned on running six but the miles flew by and I ended up with eight.  A sweaty mess by the end.


Friday - Fidelity trails, Smithfield, RI - 4.5 miles

Ab Ripper X (15 minutes)

Short easy trail run before work this morning. Sun was actually out and it wasn't as humid as the past couple days. I used my NipMuck Buff headwrap thing and it worked great to ward off the deer flies. I just stuck it on my head and let the other end dangle behind me. Kept the flies off my head and neck and since I was moving they weren't getting into my eyes. Great success!

Saturday - Run with the Beavers 10 miles trail race - 13.7 miles


Official time: 1:14:13. 5th out of 65. Race report here.

Sunday - East Matunuck Beach, South Kingstown, RI - 3 miles


2nd week in a row that I ended the week with a short beach run. Actually I enjoy these - it's nice to give my feet a different feel with the barefoot running. And a dip in the ocean afterwards is nice.

Weekly Mileage: 34.4 miles
Year to Date: 959.8 miles


The weekday runs this week weren't anything particularly memorable, but the Beaver race on Saturday was a great time. This is also the 10th week in a row with 32+ miles which I'm really happy about. I think this kind of consistent workload is beginning to pay dividends. Now to ramp it up for NipMuck training!

No comments:

Post a Comment