Friday, August 21, 2015

Weekly Log: 8.17.15 - 8.23.15

This week will end with a fun adventure - Ezri and I are heading up to the White Mountains to stay at the Lonesome Lake Hut.  Hopefully the hike goes smoothly and hopefully the weather cooperates!

Monday - Charlestown, RI - 5 miles

16 pull-ups w/ equal # of assists (standard/chin-up) 3/5/3/5

It has been many months since I attempted any pull-ups after I tweaked my neck last December.  I decided to ease back into them.  They were as tough as ever.

I was working from home on this steamy Monday and a beach run seemed wise.  I didn't really want to run from the house 'cause then it would just be all road to and fro.  So I parked at the Green Hill Park and ran a mile down to Green Hill Beach.  I followed the beach to Charlestown Beach, jumped in for a few minutes and then reversed the route.  The water was unbelievably warm!  An easy run and I was glad the legs felt good after yesterday's long effort.  The only negative was the inevitable sand in my shoes and socks.

Tuesday - 0 miles

A day of sloth.  It was really hot and I chumped out on the lunch run, opting for a trip to Walmart instead.  The coup de grace was a stop at McDonald's for a large fry.  Truly I have brought shame to my forebears.

Wednesday - East Providence, RI - 8.3 miles

255 push-ups (standard/military/wide) 35/30/40/40/30/40/40

Holy DOMS!  It had been a long time since I had done pull-ups and I'm feeling it today!  The area under my armpits are super sore.

There would be no shirking out of today's run, not after yesterday's shame.  I set out to do an 8 mile loop up through Pawtucket and back down the Blackstone Blvd walking path.  It was hot out, about 84 but I brought a water bottle and felt good right off the bat.  The pace was peppy in the low 7s and I tried to reign it in but my legs wanted to keep that speed up.  I just went with it and towards the end of the run I made an effort to push the pace even more.  A good run, especially considering the heat.

Thursday - Seekonk, MA - 7.7 miles

Yeah, I figured this would be the affect of yesterday's effort.  Today's run was on a mix of trails and roads around the reservoir and Seekonk Meadows.  I was generally tired and didn't have much pep, even though the temp was a few degrees shy of yesterday.  Though I was shooting for eight miles, but the time I reached the car I was happy to be done.

Friday - Charlestown, RI - 11.7 miles

I had the day off from work and in the afternoon I set out for a long run around Burlingame.  It was humid as balls and even though I brought a handheld my strength was quickly sapped.  I went down to Kettle Pond to check out the watchtower then I ran the Brrr-lingame course for a bit.  The bugs became a real nuisance so I put my shirt on my head.  But I put my glasses on top of that and after a 1/2 mile I realized that had fallen off.  So I backtracked and found 'em right about where I had put my shirt on my head.  I made a beeline for Vin Gormley at this point and was already feeling very spent.  My water was down to 1/3 and I considered turning back but I ultimately soldiered on.  The rest of the run was not pretty with several walking breaks and lots of bugs but I got back to my car eventually.  Unfortunately high bacteria in the water meant I couldn't even enjoy a much-deserved cool down swim in the pond.  Curses!

Saturday - 0 miles


Sunday - Lincoln, NH - 4.5 miles

This was a hike with Ezri up to the Lonesome Lake Hut but I'm counting it as I was wearing a pack and the elevation was significant.  Report forthcoming.


Weekly Mileage: 37.3 miles
Year to Date: 1237.6 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment