Thursday, December 17, 2015

Mews Tavern "Gear & Beer" 6.9k 2015

Official time: 26:33.   22nd overall.  3rd in Age Group.  Results here.

The Mews Tavern race is always a fun time but just like the Li’l Rhody Runaround it had taken a back seat since I signed up for the RI 6 Hour.  I was feeling much about this race than Li’l Rhody with another week of recovery under my belt.  This would be the second year it was extended to a 6.9k.  Last year I had been slowed by that fall’s knee injury.  I was fairly confident that with my health and mileage I’d be able to best last year’s time.

They staggered the start this year which is why it looks there's only thirty
people running - Photo by Easter Seals

The weather was mild and I did my usual warmup.  The race starts off on that annoying uphill and did my best not to push too hard.  Once we turned onto Willard Ave I found myself running next to Dan Hawkins for the second race in a row.  He soon gapped me and a couple other guys quickly followed suit.  A glance at the watch confirmed what I felt – I was running about a 6:15 pace. 

And that’s the pace I would run for the rest of the race.  They changed the course slightly from last year which threw me off and made me think that I was closer than I actually was.  The last ¼ mile is a fast downhill – I managed to pass one guy but couldn’t find another gear to catch the next fellow just ahead of me.  

The only picture of me finishing - as the
female winner is interviewed
Photo by Easter Seals

Turns out he was 2nd in my age group so that would deny me a prize (they only go two deep).  I thought that at least I’d be a few seconds faster than last year but no, I was slower by 23 seconds.

At the time I was bummed by my performance but after awhile I got over it.  I may be in better (running) shape than last year but I was still only two weeks removed from the 40 mile ultra.  Plus I'm probably about ten pounds heavier than last year.  Also I’ve done no speed work in the last year and I think that without it I’ve reached a plateau with regards to my top speed.  I’ll need to get back to the track and drop a couple pounds if I want to be faster in these short races.

No comments:

Post a Comment