Friday, January 16, 2015

Weekly Log: 1.12.15 - 1.18.15

Monday - 0 miles

After yesterday's great race, I wanted to continue to play it safe so I opted for Yoga today at lunch.  I arrived a few minutes late to a packed room so I had to set up at the very front, next to the teacher.  I was very self-conscious and struggled to hit a bunch of the moves since it was hard to compare to what everyone else was doing.  I like the teacher's attitude and energy though so I'll need to try to make it to another of her classes.

Tuesday - Seekonk, MA - 4.3 miles

Temp was in the 20s and pretty nice out for this time of year.  I went over to the Seekonk Meadows as I haven't been there in a while.  Some icy sections of trails I had to watch out for but otherwise they were clear and I had the place to myself.  I changed it up by exploring nearby roads and finding my way back to the car on the sidewalk.

Wednesday - East Providence, RI - 4 miles

Stayed close to the office and began by running the trails/dirt roads along the Seekonk River.  It's pretty dumpy with all the trash that people have deposited over the years but it was still peaceful along the shore.  The Seekonk River is pretty frozen over here though further towards the bay it's still liquid.  Snapped some shots along the way.

Jagged ice from freezing and thawing

Another victim of winter

Sand dunes where no-good-nicks get up to no good
Across the river are the hills of Blackstone Park

Thursday - 0 miles

I had planned a nice 7 mile exploration run while my car got the oil changed but I woke up with a slight twinge in old Jank McKnee.  Decided to play it safe.

Friday - Charlestown/North Kingstown, RI - 10.5 miles

Took the dog out for an early morning jog.  30 degrees out.  It's practically balmy!  While on the neighborhood roads another person ran by but I didn't get a good look at them as I was trying to keep Oliver distracted.

After work I arrived early to band practice so that I could put in a longer run.  Just a sliver of a moon so it was a dark headlamp run.  I headed directly down to the beach where the headwind was killer and sent chills  through me. Luckily once I reached the trails of Rome Point they provided some protection.  It was fun running these trails at night.  Very quiet out there and I only freaked myself out once when I mistook a passing bush for a human.  After about four miles of trails I jumped on Gilbert Stuart Road.  My pace picked up as I went (here were the animals missing in Rome Point - a couple deer and a solo raccoon) and I decided to make an honest effort of Snuff Mill.  I was happy to see afterwards that I took 15 seconds off my best effort last August.  It was good to get back to a pre-practice evening run and the knee felt great throughout.

Saturday - 0 miles


Sunday - Charlestown, RI  - 6 miles

I was going to get out this morning to run about 10 miles but I was lacking motivation puttered about with the wood stove to procrastinate.  I finally got out there but only had time to run for about an hour.  I settled on a nearby loop that grabbed as many nearby trails as I could - the Narragansett trail, South Farm and that pine tree trail across from SF.  Through I doing moments of bushwacking trying to explore potential shortcuts though it was nothing I hadn't come across before.  I think it's about time that Garvin/Acton Blaze Company make an true path from South Farm to Shannock Rd.

Amanda got me a band that goes under the knee to help with knee pain and keep it in line.  After walking around with it for a few days, I liked it so I wore it on this run.  Seemed to work well and I didn't notice any knee aggravation.  The knee's been doing well this week so who's to say but I'll probably keep using for now.

Weekly Mileage: 24.9 miles

Year to Date: 54.5 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment